_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Maus v1
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 08:53 PM UTC
Two questions...I have seen pictures of the Maus v1 with the dummy turret and on each side there are 2 what looks like railcar bumper stops...I have also seen pictures where some of the stops are broken...what are those things

second...I have seen pictures of the V1 with what looks to be some kind of compressed gas cylinders attached to the rear facing plate of the dummy turret...what are those things and what do they do
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 - 11:15 PM UTC
These railroad puffers?

If it had been a "real" turret and not a dumb weight I could have guessed at attachment points for extra armour but since this is a dummy turret to simulate the weight of the operational one I would say that it is attachement points for the straps/chains/ropes used when lifting the dummy turret on/off the chassis.

As for the things that look like cylinders for compressed gas.
The Germans did use compressed gas (stadtgas, the type distributed in cities to gas stoves) instead of petrol for test and training purposes.
If you are referring to the gas flasks in the image above they do look sort of small for an engine able to power such a heavy vehicle. Doesn't look like fire extinguishers either.
Gas for starting the engine?

Compare with these:

Chassis for driver training running on compressed gas instead of petrol.

Big cats can run on gas too .....

I hope they based this kit on actual photos ....

on a Pz IV chassis

/ Robin
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 03:01 AM UTC
the "bumper" is definitely in position to lift and remove the turret, for gas cylinders as in the picture everybody seem to work and I think to see a thin tube going inside the turret from the cylinders, maybe inside are simply welding something

I'm wrong or the picture where the cylinders are seen is the Maus in Soviet hands? ..... Star on the turret and "sickle and hammer" on the hull...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the "bumper" is definitely in position to lift and remove the turret, for gas cylinders as in the picture everybody seem to work and I think to see a thin tube going inside the turret from the cylinders, maybe inside are simply welding something

I'm wrong or the picture where the cylinders are seen is the Maus in Soviet hands? ..... Star on the turret and "sickle and hammer" on the hull...

Head of hammer should be inside the arch of the sickle so I think that the symbol on the side of that Maus is someting else or maybe a small part som something else.
Maybe the people are milling about after recovering the clumsy thing from deep mud?
/ Robin

Clearer image

I find it very hard to believe that a Soviet soldier should draw/paint the hammer & sickle symbol incorrectly.

I think the Soviet troops found that Maus in this state:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5502/11235915074_2fff304df3_b.jpg link to large size image

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 05:08 AM UTC
Honestly, I would not be surprised so much if a Soviet soldier is wrong in drawing the flag symbol, especially if it is only about the direction, the Soviet Union was so vast and certain areas so remote that I would not be surprised if in the years' 40 There were still inhabitants who knew hardly that they were no longer under the Tsar, but were controlled by Uncle Joseph ... at the end apart from the flags they had passed from a bloody regime to another regime perhaps even more bloody ... for many people was "Potato-Potato"...

...if it had not been a Russian why a German would have painted the Soviet symbols on the hull of a new project of a "super-weapon" so dear to Hitler that certainly was surrounded by elements of propaganda, intelligence officers and other Nazi fanatics who for such a gesture would at least send im to fight on the east front...if lucky... ,if not executed for treason in front of is "cameraden"

My 2 cents
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 01:13 PM UTC
I don't believe the "bumpers" are used for lifting. If they were, they would be spaced further apart, more towards the corners of the turret.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 02:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...if it had not been a Russian why a German would have painted the Soviet symbols on the hull of a new project of a "super-weapon" so dear to Hitler that certainly was surrounded by elements of propaganda, intelligence officers and other Nazi fanatics who for such a gesture would at least send im to fight on the east front...if lucky... ,if not executed for treason in front of is "cameraden"

The Maus stuck in the mud photos were taken during the tests, still being evaluated by German engineers so the sickle and hammer symbol was paint by Germans for sure...
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 02:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't believe the "bumpers" are used for lifting. If they were, they would be spaced further apart, more towards the corners of the turret.

I think I read somewhere that this turret was weighted to simulate the (massive) gun. Considering that the center of mass would be towards the front, it makes sense to have the lifting lugs in that position
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 05:48 PM UTC
You don't lift from the bottom of whatever you are lifting but the top. If you look at lifting lugs on other tanks and turrets you will see them positioned far apart even with the weight of the gun making one end heavier than the other and from near the top of the turret. Putting the lifting lugs so close together and at the bottom makes it unstable and the load could roll forward or backward. That is why you lift with the attachments as far apart and as high as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Em6dyapAt4
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 06:42 PM UTC
Casting plugs from the casting process.

Have to remember was cast up side down.

Cheers
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Casting plugs from the casting process.

Have to remember was cast up side down.

Cheers

Lift points for a casting makes sense as you said it's cast upside down and then they would be at the top (bottom) of the turret.
 _GOTOTOP