_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
How often do you change your cartridges?
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2017 - 03:07 AM UTC
Hi guys. I use a pretty high quality half face respirator (a 3M 7500 for anyone in Australasia) with organic vapor cartridges.

I don't use them very often but they're probably more than a year old. My question is do they expire over time? Or is usage more of an issue? Naturally I store them in a airtight container away from contaminates.

I don't have a spray booth yet so I reply on my mask 100 percent to protect me.

Thanks guys.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 900 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 04, 2017 - 04:34 AM UTC
I just recently bought a 3M 6000 series respirator, the cartridges were sealed in foil packets, but I didn't see any kind of expiry date written on them.
One sure way to tell if they are not working is if it's properly fitted and you can smell solvent, replace them.

My previous respirator was a big green shed special and I had the cartridges on that for several years. The particulate pre filters on it were just starting to look like needing replacement and it got used in more than just painting models, but still fairly infrequently. Had to replace the whole thing because the elastic head band degraded and the whole thing wouldn't stay on.

If you can find some suitaable replacement cartridges at a local tool store try and see if the have an expiry listed on them.

But when it comes to safety, if in doubt change them out.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 12:19 AM UTC
The filter cartridges' "cotton" inside should be pristine white. If by any chance you see the colors change to gray or get dirty, replace them.

Also, when wearing the mask, you should not be able to smell anything (except perhaps your breath). There may be occasions where fumes leak inside because the mask isn't a snug fit, but generally you can tell where that's coming from, either through the cartridges or through a gap in the mask. If it's not through the filters, then you're okay.

Also be aware how your store your respirator. I bought a hard plastic respirator case and many reviewers gave it a five-star rating. One reviewer gave it one-star rating complaining of plastic chemical "off-gassing" that made his entire respirator stink when stored inside. Well, I got one that "off-gassed" too and that made the entire new respirator's interior smell like chemicals. After that, I threw my new respirator away and bought another new one. Once again, if the interior of the mask stinks or has some smell (the rubber part), there's almost no way to get that smell out (even with wiping it) so might as well buy a new one.
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 04:25 PM UTC
Hi Phil,

As Lain said first check if you can smell. If you can then they have already expired.

The worst enemy is humidity so if you place them on a sealed container or a zip bag when not used you can have them last longer. I have some that are already more than 10 years old and I can't smell anything when I am using them. It is also true that I use them when using the airbrush with Tamiya acrylic paints.

Regards,
Angel
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 08:14 PM UTC
Might be worth noting: If you’re sporting a beard, you have an air leak in the system which will most likely render the respirator useless.😷 ... Sorry, Millennials — probably okay with a “man bun” though!

Happy, and safe airbrushing! 🎨
—mike
 _GOTOTOP