_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Air Brush problems
imnewtomodels
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 06:09 AM UTC
Hello

So I'm having an issue with my air brush. Up to maybe a week ago I had no issue with the AB. Using Vallejo Model Air paints and no major clogging. All of a sudden I can't even get 50/50 tinner Vallejo Model Air to go through.

I've taken the AB (Iwata TRN2) apart and cleaned it. Took off the little nozzle and used a tiny AB "pipe cleaner" (not sure what you call them and it's not readily available to me as I type this...it was bought at my local hobby shot).

Got some gunk to come out. Water/AB cleaner goes right through it no problem. Put everything back together, hooked the AB up and ran some water through it. No problem, however, it sounds like it's "spitting" the water out which leads me to believe the needle has been bent. Not sure how, but I know these things are fragile.

Model Air isn't supposed to need much thinner if at all. Yes, I'm using Vallejo thinner and cleaner. I'm also using Vallejo Flow Improver and it did nothing. Also tried adding (in a separate instance) some Liquitex Retarder. Still the paint barely comes out. It comes out but it's barely anything. I have to get the AB really close to my scrap piece to see any paint.

I also want to add that I do NOT have a moisture trap on my compressor as I don't spray that often and I spray in my basement (live in Seattle WA...if that helps explain things any further).

Being new to all this I'm at a TOTAL loss and have no idea where to go from here.

My noobish instincts tell me my needle is FUBAR'd

Any thoughts?

Thank you
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:35 AM UTC
John,
First of all, welcome to Kitmaker! I too live in the greater Seattle area and have been building for a number of years (over 55 years last I looked) -- we have a large group of modelers in the area, and have several shows during the course of the year-- next big one is at the Museum of Flight in February, followed by the April IPMS show. Now for your AB problem-- it could several reasons, and water is indeed a problem in this area-- you never mentioned the type of compressor you use, and that too could be a problem-- check your fittings, make sure everything is tight, if necessary use some plumbers tape. Disassemble and examine your needle aperture for cracks-- best done with a jewelers loop. Off hand, it sounds like you may have a chunk of dried paint or a clog some where between the trigger and the needle aperture. But If you use a tank compressor without a moisture trap (especially in Seattle) you can also build a lot of water in the tank, which in turn reduces compression and forces water into the brush. If your regulator is defective, or you don't use a regulator at all, you can also get a "vapor lock" in the line which will reduce pressure too. It could be any of these problems, or a combination of them. I recommend you strip down the AB and give it a thorough cleaning, disconnect your compressor and let it run a while, or if you have a drain in the tank (for a tank compressor) let it drain. I hope it works out. You can also ask for help over at Skyway Models-- they are experts when it comes to the Iwata brushes. The Northwest Scale Modelers NWSC meets the first Thursday of the Month at the MoF, and IPMS Seattle has a meeting once a month in Bellevue-- there are lots of folks who can help at these meetings.
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 10:51 AM UTC
I have lived north of Seattle for more than 40 years so I know the Puget Sound weather in all it's drippy glory. And you will always NEED a water trap unless you are using bottled air. I've been all over the world and always got water in my traps, desert area too, just took longer. Tank less or tank type compressors, it doesn't matter especially after the recent rain we've had. I run two traps one on the tank end of my hose and another on my airbrush regulator, and you will start to see water in them in just a few minutes of shooting. If you are running a tank type airbrush compressor drain it often, smaller tanks fill up with water faster and that makes things worse. Get a regulator with a trap and then try again, try to remove as many variables as possible, basements tend to be damp and in Seattle they're probably pretty soggy. Everything in Seattle is soggy this time of year.
Removed by original poster on 10/27/17 - 05:53:56 (GMT).
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 11:28 AM UTC
To me it looks that you still have the nozzle clogged. Remove the seals and soak it in acetone and/or carefully use a scraper like this one on the left:

An ultrasonic cleaner may work as well.
imnewtomodels
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 06:35 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply's

I've taken it apart and clean it with the above mentioned brush but still no difference. Now, I haven't taken it apart to where I'm taking the little seals off. I may try that next, however, I have NOT drained my tank (noob still) and I'm going to buy a moisture trap for it.

The compressor is one from Harbor Freight. Not sure on the model.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 07:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the reply's

I've taken it apart and clean it with the above mentioned brush but still no difference. Now, I haven't taken it apart to where I'm taking the little seals off. I may try that next, however, I have NOT drained my tank (noob still) and I'm going to buy a moisture trap for it.

I used to have a pancake compressor, from Harbor Freight. I was regularly having to do purge mine. A moisture trap is a must.
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 08:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks for the reply's

I used to have a pancake compressor, from Harbor Freight. I was regularly having to do purge mine. A moisture trap is a must.

I used a small 2 gallon compressor for a few years and with the small tank I had to drain it everytime I got done using it. I now use a big automotive style, can fill it up and shoot paint for days at the low pressures I shoot with. I'll drain it every couple months.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 09:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the reply's

John,
I used to work in a LHS when I retired. Customers would bring in Harbor Freight Airbrushes and compressors all the time and ask me what was wrong with them-- And I'd have to tell them you get what you pay for. Most, if not all Harbor Freight tools are cheap knock-offs and the quality definitely shows--that's why they're cheap. If you're using an HF compressor with an Iwata (which is a quality tool), I think you'll most likely find the problem lies with the compressor. My rule of thumb, after owning airbrushes since 1965, is to buy a quality double action airbrush and a quality compressor and learn all you can about them (I can say this because I've owned about 25 ABs over the years, starting with cheap junk-- I would've saved a lot money buying quality equipment to begin with). I currently own a Testors tank compressor, which has served me well for about 15 years now, and two Binks diaphragm compressors I've had for over 50 years. However, I was recently in my local Home Depot and looked at a couple high quality compressors which would do just as well. In the old days, finding reduction fittings for industrial compressors to use a hobby AB was difficult-- but now HD, Lowes and Wilco carry just about any fittings you'd need. McClendons (local to the Seattle-Tacoma area only) carries fittings too. You definitely need a moisture trap and a regulator though. Regulators for Airbrush use shouldn't go much higher than about 70 PSI. I seldom buy anything from Harbor Freight ( breaking my own rule, I got suckered by a HF advertisment this summer for two sets of set of micro-miniature twist drills for $7. Thinking what could go wrong for $7, I bought them. A month later every drill bit was broken-- again proving my own point about Harbor Freight-- I should really listen to my own advice!). There are some good compressors out there for a bit more money-- don't go cheap because you'll only get the quality you pay for. The reason I was in HD looking at compressors recently is because my Testors tank compressor (they are made in China by the way) developed a pin-hole sized leak at the bottom of the tank at a seam-- I hadn't bothered to drain it for a long while, and it rusted through. I repaired it with some JB weld, which is holding just fine, but I expect I'll be buying a new compressor in the future too-- nothing lasts forever, but 15 years for a hobby compressor isn't bad, and my repair might give me a few more years. But buying from Harbor Freight ensures it probably won't last long!
VR, Russ
imnewtomodels
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 - 09:46 PM UTC
Thanks Russ

I bought the HF compressor because I'm new (knowing I'll upgrade down the road) and I'm on a budget

Going to Lowes tonight to buy a moisture trap. I'll use plumbers tape too on all my fittings. Hopefully this will correct my issue.

Thanks for the tips
 _GOTOTOP