TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Star trek Discovery
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 - 10:20 AM UTC
Hi All
Ill put my allegiances on the table I'm a Trekkie/Treker.Ive seen now 3 episodes of Discovery and I'm really unsure about how I feel about it.

Effects great, The latest incarnation of the Klingons I quite like but the tone of the show I don't know hope it will grow on me and I really dislike the look of the Discovery. I'd rather she was either Miranda or Oberth class.

Just putting it out there as I know there be trekkies here.

Chris

phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 10:40 AM UTC
Only just seen your post.
I tried it back when it first came on Netflix over here and I couldn't get beyond the second episode. I wasn't impressed. I found it a little boring.
The design of the ship is based on Ralph McQuarries design for the refit Enterprise for the cancelled Phase II series in the 70's. While I love McQuarries work, his style doesn't suit Star Trek. Fortunately the makers went for the refit design we all know and love.

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 11:43 AM UTC
CBS is currently being sued for plagiarism over the show as it has several very distinct things in common with a video game produced a little earlier by a indy programmer. They are just too striking for anyone at CBS to explain, being far worse than what they did to J. Michael Stracynzski when he pitched Babylon 5 to them and after they passed, out came DS9 with several similar themes. He settled out with them over that, but it is only one of the many times CBS has acted crap when it comes to Trek.
Asides from the "alleged" plagiarism, there has been a growing outcry over many of the themes in the show, and how they differ or contradict canon.

As an indication of the sentiment towards this show, consider its acronym: STD

Live long and prosper.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 12:36 PM UTC
Ha! STD! I hadn't noticed that before! A bit unfortunate and it definitely doesn't help it's case!

DS9 definitely splits opinions. I know a lot of people who either loved it or hated it. I am a huge fan of both B5 and DS9. I noticed similar themes at the time but only found out the full story a couple of years ago.
I'm a sucker for military sci-fi and both were definitely in that camp. DS9 was certainly more darker and action packed than either TOS or TNG. Always liked the episode in series 6 where Sisko is justifying to the viewer, through his personal log, for deceiving and murdering a Romulan ambassador to bring them into the war. I mean, he knew Garak would have to resort to murder for the plan to succeed. About as far from the vision of the original series as you can get, but boy did I think that was powerful first time I saw it. And Section 31? Made sense to me that the Federation would have a black ops unit that worked behind closed doors and no one to answer to. Might even have made for an interesting mini series.
Not that I don't love and respect the ideals of the originals. I'm among the handful of fans who like TMP. It's a fantastic film I think. Sticks to the spirit of TOS and was hugely ambitious in it's scale and story telling. Just unfortunate that the viewing public expected an action packed space film and I don't think it's ever shook that off. Jerry Goldsmith did a brilliant score for the film. Have the album on my phone to listen to in the way to work most mornings.

I had read about the new accusations of plagiarism from the game, but not sure of the full details. Something about using a giant space bug as navigators? I'm intrigued to find that out, but could I stick with it is the question? It's definitely a series for a younger audience who are perhaps more cynical and less hopeful for the future than us old trekkies.

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 01:40 PM UTC
Star Wars and its copycats created an environment where the mainstream audience wanted epic space battles, which TOS was never suited for given the constraints of the media at that time. The stories it told were not of that nature, anyway. There is at least one exec I believe was quoted as saying that Trek was too cerebral for movie audiences, so Abrams incorporated more action into his timeline. Wrath of Khan bore that out, since it did better than TMP, and the others seem to fare a bit better having more action but without detracting from the story. Abrams was never a Trekkie or whatever so he really doesn't understand the long-term appeal of the series.

Like Star Wars, Star Trek is being marketed to a new audience; unfortunately for us the new audience is not as discriminating in taste regarding things like good writing, internal series logic, or other worthless crap like that.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 - 11:55 PM UTC
Don't get me started on what's happening to Star Wars!
All I'm going to say is that I've been reading the book of the books since the 90's and really disappointed that they have failed to acknowledge them in the new films. They told a far better story than what we have seen.
Real shame that the story told in the Thrawn and New Jedi Order series will not be seen on the big screen. Although to do the latter would have to be an 18 to do it justice.
Or are us old fans, who have invested so much, harder to please?
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 - 04:02 AM UTC
It's not that we're harder to please, but that we've come to expect a base level of quality from the franchise and the new material just isn't as good. It's the writing. Did you know that among the half-dozen of people Kathleen Kennedy hired for the writing team there were only 3 writing credits - two to the same person and none in the SciFi genre? Who hires non-writers for one of the biggest film franchises?
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, October 01, 2018 - 08:26 AM UTC
Wow!
I hadn't realised that about the writers but that makes no sense. Explains why in Last Jedi we had spaceships running out of fuel and not just stopping, but tumbling out of control! I know tv and film sci-fi plays a little loose, but come on it's basic physics! Babylon 5 was doing spaceflight right in the mid 90's using Commodore Amigas. There's really no excuse with the improvements in sfx.

I did hear about directors being hired and fired and that's going to cause problems.
Owengate
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 32 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 - 06:28 AM UTC
Indeed, Star Wars has gone down the drain, like many of our beloved franchise.