_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Slowing laquer paint drying time?
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 900 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 07:49 AM UTC

I have some humbrol metalcote which I find excellent for reproducing steel finishes, however I had issues when thinning it. Adding normal Humbrol enamel thinners started to turn it into a gluggy mess. I used laqcuer thinner and it's now the perfect consistency, however it starts to dry almost instantly, and is a pain to apply as it goes on and smears straight off unless great care is taken which can leave it a bit thick.

Are there any additives I can use for enamel/lacquer paints to slow down drying time?
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:31 AM UTC
Mate i dont know there on the west coast but if it's hot like here you can try to wear a jumper,then raise the aircon on maximum maybe you slow down enough the drying time,i dont know about additive to slow down laquer or enamel only the opposite
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 900 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 10:49 AM UTC
It's already pretty cold here at the moment so no joy in that regard. I fear I may have overdone the lacquer thinner which is causing it to dry so quickly.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 - 08:10 PM UTC
Which thinner did you use?
The guggy mess was caused by the wrong type of thinner and the other thinner you used sorted (solved) the guggy mess but it dries too fast.
I haven't used the metalizer paint but if I had this problem I would try to use balsam turpentine.
/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP