History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Fog of War -- Seen it?
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 04:56 PM UTC
Going to see the Errol Morris Fog of War documentary this weekend.

Now that the Academy Awards are fresh, many of the smaller films are now in the theaters. (Still need to see Osama and Lost Boys of Sudan.)

Have you guys seen this film yet? It has gotten amazing reviews and in light of the upcoming elections is timely. Seems that Vietnam will be a hot-button issue.

But, this film doesn't focus only on Southeast Asia. McNamara talks about his role in WWII planning the strategic bombing campaign and the fire bombing of Tokyo with Curtis LeMay and the Cuban missle crisis telling how close we were to war.

I have read he also gives '11 Lessons From the Life of Robert McNamara.' Number seven sounds real interesting - 'belief and seeing are both often wrong.'

I'll let you know how it is. I'm a Morris fan and love the music Philip Glass composes for his films, so I'm glad to be seeing this.

Steve
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 02:59 AM UTC
Steve--anxious to hear about the film. My assum,ption is it is another Holloywood pic with an agenda in the tradition of "Runaway Jury."
DJ
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve--anxious to hear about the film. My assum,ption is it is another Holloywood pic with an agenda in the tradition of "Runaway Jury."
DJ

No DJ, this was a documentary so it was a bit easier to 'hide' the agenda!

(Actually, a funny/sad Runaway Jury story; I was flying back from Israel last month and they showed that 'movie' on my Lufthansa flight. I had no idea what it was about. Well after realizing what was happening, I was about ready to tear open the emergency exit and jump to my doom. I was pissed - what crap! I haven't been so angry about a movie in long time.)

No, I really think you should try to see this one. To be honest, I think if you watch it in a theater you will be dissapointed as it has the look of something you see on PBS. This is the least cinimatic of the Errol Morris films I have seen. I had to drive over an hour to an 'art' theater to see it.

Really it is a visual biography of McNamara. There are fascinating audio tape converstaions between McNamara and LBJ and Kennedy, too. No matter what your political feelings, there are some interesting similarities between the 60's and today - although the analogy is not made directly. Certainly you will understand the timing of the film and reasons behind its recent oscar win.

I think some of the most provocative moments are the decisions about the fire bombing of Japan. It is certainly something I am interested in and something I feel is often ignored.

Yes, I think the student of 20th century military history will want to see this. There is no denying the influence of McNamara.

There are also some good reviews on the web that will be more informative than my blurb here!

Steve
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 08:29 AM UTC
Steve-- thanks. I think that I will stick with Objective Burma and let my grand children enjoy the trials and tribulations of Mr. McNamara. Good book on fire bombing. I think the title is "Fire Bombs over Tokyo." I will look it up tonight and let you know.
DJ
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2004 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve-- thanks. I think that I will stick with Objective Burma and let my grand children enjoy the trials and tribulations of Mr. McNamara. Good book on fire bombing. I think the title is "Fire Bombs over Tokyo." I will look it up tonight and let you know.
DJ

I have a book called A Torch to the Enemy. Maybe that's the one you are thinking of? Would like to hear of another one too!

Steve
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 01:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DJ

I have a book called A Torch to the Enemy. Maybe that's the one you are thinking of? Would like to hear of another one too!

Steve

Steve--- the book I have is "Flames Over Tokyo" by E. Barlett Kerr. Very interesting and objective work. Covers the B-29 program, the development of the incendiaries and the Japanese construction techniques. What about your Torch to the Enemy?
DJ