_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Hobby shops in Muenchen
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 - 06:56 PM UTC
Kind of short notice but on Tuesday I am going to Muenchen for Oktoberfest. Other stops include Salzburg, Munster, Nuernburg, Bamberg and maybe Kulmbach & Stuttgart. And I'm looking for some hobby shops that are more kit oriented and not so much trains.
I am traveling by DB trains so no shops I would need a car. No problem taking trams or busses to get to a shop.
ALSO, any recommendations as things to see or do ? It doesn't have to be military or modeling oriented. Stuff that your average tourist doesn't get to experience. Example: A couple of years ago I spent a few days in the Ahrtal eating, drinking red wine and hiking. I don't think I heard English once while I was there. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for !
Thanks in advance !
PROST

Tom
astursimmer
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2017 - 01:02 PM UTC
Hi Tom
For kits you have Obletter in Karlsplatz in the very center. It looks like a toy shop but in the lower basement you have a great models selection with always good discounted kits of Dragon Asuka Tamiya Revell....
In the outskirts you have Traudls Modelllbauladen in Mannertstrasse, you have to take the S-Bahn to get there yet I dont know which one, I always go with my car. This shop is located actually in Dachau so you can pay a visit to the camp.
Regarding visits if you ask for modelling world related places, you can visit the Deutsches Museum. It is a walk worth from the city center and you have a nice collection of planes like a Bf109, a Me262, I think also a Me163 and even a V2 rocket that will impress you from its size.
And for other general sightseeing, you will like the city, it is nice comfortable and never too overcrowded, yet the Wiese where the Oktoberfest is located can be so. Get early there if you want to dream of finding place in one of the Zelt (tents).
Regards
Nacho
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 03:09 AM UTC
Traudls' is not bad, I used to go there when we lived in München. Easy walk from the Karlsfeld S-Bahn station (S2 from Laim station). However, prices seemed pretty high and they don't speak much, if any, english. Good magazine selection, lots of Trumpeter and Dragon, some aftermarket.
http://www.traudlsmodellbau.com/

Jim
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 09:06 PM UTC
Thanks Nacho & Jim. The Deutsches Museum is a must ! I like taking trams & buses to different spots. Live like a local. 2002 I went on a Saturday afternoon and stood in line for an hour and quit and went elsewhere. So I know the importance of early mid-week arrivals. Learned it the hard way.
Thanks again for your input !

Tom
 _GOTOTOP