_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Down the Rabbit Hole
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 04:39 AM UTC
Hi Everybody!! New here but have been lurking for a little while looking at some of the builds. Had to join up and get in on the fun!

The title of this is "Down the Rabbit Hole" so let me explain. I was reading some alternative history about how the second world war could have been different had Germany used it ships more efficiently. That lead me to look up sizes of WWII battleships. Which then led me to models (I used to build them all the time but haven't touched a tube of testors in years). Which then led me to this form. I have been googling for my first model thanks to you guys and had some questions.

I was looking at 1/700 scale mostly due to shelf space and price. What tips can you guys give me on what to look for? manufactures to avoid or look for, types of glue, etc. I can't wait to purchase my first ship!! Possibly one my Grandfather served on!!

Thanks for reading and the tips!!

tl:dr I am new and would like some advice.
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 554 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hi Charlie,
Welcome to the forums. I've recently got into building floaty things too. You didn't mention whether you prefer waterline or full hull builds. There are several Japanese companies that make waterline kits in 1/700 scale. The first two that come to mind are Tamiya and Hasegawa. Airfix out of Britain also produce a lot of kits in that scale. If you don't have a hobby shop near you there are always a lot of kits available on ebay and at online vendors. Check out the vendors who advertise here. I haven't had a problem with any of them. I would recommend you simply browse ebay and the net to see the kits that are out there and pick one that interests you. Until you refresh your skills I would not recommend getting a kit with photoetch (pe) detail parts.

Regarding your space limitations keep in mind the kits you select. A 1/700 battleship will be approximately the same size as a 1/350 destroyer. There are a lot of kits in 1/350, 1/400, and 1/600 scales and a growing number of kits in 1/1200 so you may want to consider them as well.

There are several glue products out there. I use glues by Tamiya personally, both thin and thick types, but there are many others out there. Most of these glues are cyanoacrylate (CA) based, like super glue, so pick one and give it a try. The glues have different consistencies and drying times so you may have to experiment to find some that meet your needs. The glues that melt the plastic to create a join, like the Testors you mentioned, also have their uses as they create a strong join. White glue like Elmers' also can be used for some applications, like filling small gaps and attaching pe

Hope this helps and again, welcome to the forums.
John
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 09:07 PM UTC
That was a really great response!! Thank you so much for taking the time out to answer my questions!! I do have some hobby stores around me that I will be checking out this weekend so I will post some updates and THANK YOU about all the glue tips!! I will have to test some out!!
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 - 01:41 AM UTC
So I got to go to the one local hobby shop that ISN'T hobby lobby this weekend and wow. Barely anything when it comes to ship models and the ones they had were remarkably expensive. I am talking 1/700 waterline cruisers and destroyers for $42+. Needless to say, I passed on any purchases. I figure I will set up a work station first.
 _GOTOTOP