_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
3D printing vrs resin cast
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
entire network: 773 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi, I want to know some feedback if anyone have "print" 3D parts as replacements or "copycat" of originals?.

I concern about the quality and the definition of 3D prints (commercial and "home" ones).

TIA

Álvaro
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 900 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 03:12 AM UTC
3D prints depend entirely on the quality of the printer used to create them.

I have some parts for a Sherman skink conversion that I had done thorough a professional service(shapeways), and apart from a couple of bits that I knew were borderline beforehand, all the parts came out excellent with barely visible layer lines that should vanish under primer.

I plan to cast the parts in urethane resin as I don't know the longevity of the printed parts.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 04:01 AM UTC
It all depends on the machine, but I have printed parts via Shapeways (in their FUD and FXD materials) to replace kit parts. But a set of printed wheels can cost as much as the plastic kit!

Iain, are you ever likely to make that Skink turret available via Shapeways? I know you are planning on selling cast-resin copies, but I'd be sorely tempted to order a printed version...
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 04:49 AM UTC
It is absolutely my intent to do both a shapeways store and offer resin casts.

There are only a few bits left that I need to tweak. I had hoped it would be ready early/mid this year, but real life keeps getting in the way. The guns are a bit of an issue as the barrels print warped.

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,353 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The guns are a bit of an issue as the barrels print warped.

Design them to be warped the other way Iain and then they will print straight....

Sorry I couldn't resist I'm a

Warping is often a resin issue too. I know a guy that was doing ASLAV barrels in resin. The main shaft was actually a metal rod and he placed that in the mould so the resin was sucked (He has a vac pump system) around the shaft. It stopped the warping issue. Can't do that with 3D printing though.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The guns are a bit of an issue as the barrels print warped.

Design them to be warped the other way Iain and then they will print straight....

Sorry I couldn't resist I'm a

Warping is often a resin issue too. I know a guy that was doing ASLAV barrels in resin. The main shaft was actually a metal rod and he placed that in the mould so the resin was sucked (He has a vac pump system) around the shaft. It stopped the warping issue. Can't do that with 3D printing though.

Very true. I think I may have to just forget the barrels, and the purchaser will have to add them from brass or plastic tube or rod.
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
entire network: 773 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 04:46 PM UTC
Thanks guys for the replies. I will try some prints here. I will comment it later
Regards from the south
Álvaro
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very true. I think I may have to just forget the barrels, and the purchaser will have to add them from brass or plastic tube or rod.

I was just about to suggest that very solution! Make the receptacles in the gun mounts a standard size of K&S tubing or similar, and put that size in the product description - we're modellers and can figure it out for ourselves...

Can't wait to get my hands on one!
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 - 08:53 AM UTC
With printing, parts can be designed easily and then edited easily if needed. Parts can then easily be made.

I actually designed a M256 barrel and had it printed a few times. Both times it arrived unwarped.
 _GOTOTOP