TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
That Old Army Film On Dealing With Rioters
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 06:23 PM UTC
I high school, we had a teacher who showed us an old Army training film created during the 1960's on how to deal with rioters, agitators, etc. during different situations. One thing the teacher pointed out was the fact that the actors playing the rioters were also military people and therefore "moved" the wrong way-too uniformly rather than how actual civilians would react.

I'd love to see it again, but don't know its title or anything else about it.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 06:34 PM UTC
Something Weird video has a lot of those instructional films in its collections. They specialize in exploitation movies but have a lot of the campy instructional films of the 1950 and 1960s. Like the wonderful how to behave if captured film I saw in Basic Training in 1988 that had the pre 1960s "Opposing Force" as the enemy complete with M41 light tanks and those funny crowned helmet liners.

As a National Guardsmen I saw all the civil disturbance movies . They were remade in the 1980s to update the look and most seemed to be about protesters at nuclear plants.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 17, 2017 - 08:00 PM UTC
We learned riot and crowd control in Berlin becsuse there were a lot of demonstrations in the city and we would have to keep them out of our sites. During my first tour at Ft Lewis there was a big international conference in Seattle and in preparation for crowd and riot control they had an infantry brigade training for any trouble that the guard couldn't handle. Since my company supported that brigade we trained with them. Full shield, face shields on our kevlars, flak vests, gas masks and clubs. We learned the stomp drag and they gave a couple of us shotguns. We were behind the guys with the clubs to cover them and watch for armed rioters. But the demonstrations were all peaceful. But I've been in riots in Korea anb Berlin and I can tell you they're not as fun as they look on t.v.
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 - 02:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I high school, we had a teacher who showed us an old Army training film created during the 1960's on how to deal with rioters, agitators, etc. during different situations.

Hi Tom, would it happen to be this one?

Riot Control Formations 1967 US Army Training Film; Military Police Rifle & Bayonet Formations

Hope that is it. If not, I'll keep looking.

Randy