_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
tank tracks
imnewtomodels
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 09:18 AM UTC
Does anyone have any tips on how to attach the tamiya rubber tracks? 3 tanks using the heated flathead screwdriver and 3 fails
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 10:03 AM UTC
Needle and thread. I'm so lazy I have been known to use staples. Then I flatten the staple with needle nose pliers and paint it the color of the track.

The old-fashioned way and hope no one notices.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 01:06 PM UTC
The new Tamiya tracks can be joined with Tamiya cement. They shouldn't need heat or staples.

The old style Tamiya tracks didn't respond to model cement.

Gaz
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 02:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The new Tamiya tracks can be joined with Tamiya cement. They shouldn't need heat or staples.

The old style Tamiya tracks didn't respond to model cement.

Gaz

If they were the glueable type once heat had been applied and failed, you'd have to glue them to the road wheels or thread and staples.

Since he's talking about applying heat, I was pretty sure he's talking about the old style. So it's thread or staples. By the way, read the directions on the glueable style and they say that if gluing doesn't work; use thread or staples.

So anyway you cut it, it comes back to thread and staples.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 09:43 PM UTC
Thick CA will also work for the old style-- works better if the plugs and holes are still in place though-- if you've already melted them, it may not work as well.
VR, Russ
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 3,736 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone have any tips on how to attach the tamiya rubber tracks? 3 tanks using the heated flathead screwdriver and 3 fails

This applies to the vinyl tracks featured on Tamiya kits designed before 1997. After that year, the tracks used a vinyl-styrene blend that can be glued with solvent type cements. The older kits have continued to be issued with original, vinyl-type track, as far as I know, but you can check by applying a drop of cement to the track sprue, and seeing if it softens or not.
Regarding your problem, you may be applying the screwdriver for more time than you need. Just apply the hot tool long enough to soften the tip of the vinyl stem, then use your fingertip to flatten it out into a vinyl rivet. It should have slight mushroom shape, rather than being completely flat. Position the join on the top run of the track, where it won't be visible. Works for me every time.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 05:54 AM UTC
Instead of a screwdriver I use the head of a small finishing nail to heat and flatten the stubs. I'd second Gerald, you may be applying heat more than what's needed as I've had that experience before as well.
 _GOTOTOP