_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
New Chipping Method
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 - 03:49 AM UTC
Well...atleast I have an idea but I don't have what I need to test this out...My thought is to do the usual basecoat and layer of hairspray and then a coat of paint over the hairspray. Then wet the surface but instead of using brushes, tweezers, etc. to chip the paint I want to try using a salt gun to remove the top layer of paint by just shooting salt (from varying distances and angles)at the model and see how the paint chips...in my head I am thinking it will create small, random chips in the paint...my problem is I don't have a salt gun and was hoping someone out there has a salt gun and a model to test this out for me...I am interested to see what would happen...
youngtiger1
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 534 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 12:12 PM UTC
What is a salt gun? Is that anything like a potato gun? Of course, I'm not saying you'd shoot your kit with a potato as that will leave significant crack and dent along the chipping line
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 09:58 PM UTC
I'd never even heard of a salt gun but having looked it up, I'm not sure I'd want to be blasting anything like crystallised minerals at a completed model as it sounds rather violent and hard to control. Assuming that you aren't trying to reproduce the effect of being struck by a beehive/canister round, it seems like overkill and unlikely to give a convincing outcome. Real AFVs don't show much chipping anyway (not in service long enough in wartime and frequent maintenance of finish in peacetime) so it's a much overdone practice in modelling. That's in my worthless opinion anyway.
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 11:39 PM UTC
that's why I am asking if anyone has one and a test model to try it out...I don't know how hard these things shoot or if it will even work for chipping paint...I am just curious what would happen...for those who don't know a salt gun is an air powered gun that shoots table salt and you may have seen the commercial where the gun kills flies...I saw it one night and wondered what would happen...I don't want to have to spend 50$ to find out and was hoping someone who has one would be willing to try it out for me...I doubt I will find someone to try it out but it can't hurt to ask...and no I am not asking anyone to sacrifice a finished model...it could be tested with a sheet of plastic card that has a coat of hairspray and paint...brush on the water and fire away...
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 11:42 PM UTC
here is a link https://bugasalt.com/
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 11:44 PM UTC
I am not sure if this would even produce the desired effect but back in the day who knew a layer of hairspray could produce such a great result...ya never know until you try
youngtiger1
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 534 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 12:45 PM UTC
Now that was a funny clip. Thanks for the link Michael.

Buy 2 and get free shipping... Booyah!
 _GOTOTOP