_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade
This forum is for all selling and buying related topics.
APO Shipping
greif8
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 673 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 - 01:13 PM UTC
I recently posted several items for sale and have received several email inquiries about shipping costs from my address. I thought I would post a short explanation how shipping from/to an active duty military member, or a civilian who works for the military, that is stationed overseas works to shed a little light on the subject.
I am a soldier stationed in Germany, we use what is known as the Army Post Office (APO) for our mail. The bad thing about that is we can only use the USPS as a shipping agent. The good news is that we pay the same shipping rates for mail that folks pay in the lower 48 states. The mailing hub where mail changes from control between the USPS and the Military Postal Service (MPS) is in Chicago for units based in Europe and the Middle East. Postage rates are calculated using Chicago as the nexus that to/from shipping costs are calculated by.

APO’s provide two types of shipping for things like models Priority and Ground. Shipping via Priority lets one choose between two types of shipping: Flat Rate and non-Flat Rate. A large Flat Rate box costs $18.85 to/from any address in the lower 48 states. In my experience, most kit boxes will fit into a large Flat Rate box. Often it is cheaper to go with a non-Flat Rate box; the closer you are to Chicago the greater the chance a non-Flat Rate box will be cheaper. For example, let’s take a 3.5 pound box with the dimensions of 24”x6”x12”. Shipping that box to say Dallas, TX in a non-Flat Rate box will cost $16.45, and you can probably get two kits in the box. Obviously, a non-Rate box is the way to go here. Normally, 4-8 business days after the package is mailed, it arrives at its destination.

The second way to ship a package is via USPS Ground, which means the package will travel by ship and not plane. It costs $13.97 to ship a package the same size and weight as the one above. However, it can take up to 8 weeks for delivery.

There is a “Media” shipping option, but the APO representative told me that was only for things like books and CDs.

I hope my fellow modelers find the above information helpful.
Ernest
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,063 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 - 07:21 PM UTC
Good post Ernst. Unless you've dealt with APO, most probably assume it is considered "overseas" and therefor expensive to ship. Might want to post this in the main forms as it will likely get more views and inform greater numbers who don't necessarily buy/trade but might be considering sending gifts etc.
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 - 07:53 PM UTC
Good point Remember FPO's as well and Some seam to think that Alaska and Hawaii are also overseas!! All are covered as Domestic by the USPS.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 21, 2017 - 09:16 PM UTC
However, it is worth noting that even though addressing and postage are the same as domestic mail (because USPS turns over the mail to the military postal system at the CONUS processing center) it is still international mail so customs forms are required for anything going to/from an APO or FPO address.

Also worth noting is that you should never add the name of the country to the AOP/FPO address: it only confuses USPS.

_GOTOTOP