_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Airbrush or Brush?
ModelbouwNL
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 07:09 PM UTC
Hello everybody,

Recently I was thinking. Is the airbrush easier then painting the model with a brush? Or is an brush easier? And what are the disadvantages of both tools?
Hope you guys can clearify in some way for me.
Thank you.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 08:04 PM UTC
You can model with a brush,and there are some masters who do fantastic brush work for sure.But if you want to take modeling to the next level,get an airbrush.

It helps with modulation,gloss finishes,natural metal finishes,soft free hand camo work,large models.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 08:58 PM UTC
it depends on the subject you're working on, and your definition of "easier". Some parts of a model may lend themselves to brush painting, while others might look better with an airbrush. Any "mottled" or "feathered" camouflage will look better with an airbrush. Certainly it's easier to clean up a brush than an airbrush, but what's "easier" may not look the best either. Once you get into the routine of using an airbrush, it becomes easier to use one.
VR, Russ
ModelbouwNL
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 10:50 PM UTC
Anthony,
I agree that the airbrush is better for larger models. And sinds I'm building now 1:35 models, it will be an argument for an airbrush. And could you explain me about the things you said in the rule below?
ModelbouwNL
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it depends on the subject you're working on, and your definition of "easier". Some parts of a model may lend themselves to brush painting, while others might look better with an airbrush. Any "mottled" or "feathered" camouflage will look better with an airbrush. Certainly it's easier to clean up a brush than an airbrush, but what's "easier" may not look the best either. Once you get into the routine of using an airbrush, it becomes easier to use one.
VR, Russ

Thank you for the advice,

What my definition of easier is: Less work to do. So that I can paint it for an example with an mold and that is ready.
And what are weathered and mottled cammo? And at the moment I build most of all German vehicles of the second world war.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 03:12 AM UTC
"Feathered" camouflage is where the edges of the paint are soft-- as if they are sprayed on. "Mottled" camouflage is where the camouflage is a series of "spots" with feathered edges-- look at a late war Messerschmitt 109, sometimes they had a "Mottled" or spotted appearance on the sides. Most German armor and aircraft were painted with air guns, which would leave a feathered edge. An airbrush is not "easier" than a paint brush, because great care has to be taken with preparing and applying paint, and then cleaning the airbrush to get the desired effect. But it is a better way to get more realistic and authentic paint effects. And it requires some practice as well-- but so do most things that are worthwhile. Try it, you might like it. Just remember, keeping an airbrush clean and in top operating condition is key to an expert paint finish.
VR, Russ
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 09:00 PM UTC
If we leave all the advanced techniques and methods aside for a while there is some simple things as well.
When I got myself my first airbrush many years ago I had just finished painting the lower hull on a Leopard 1 (Italeri ?).
The next kit I painted using the airbrush and realised that I could get a nice and even coverage of all the little corners and details on the lower hull/chassis a LOT faster than using a normal brush.

On a more general level: There is no such thing as a "best" tool when comparing different methods/technologies.
Which tool is the best: a hammer or a screwdriver?
Answer: Both. Sometimes I need to hammer a nail and sometimes I need the screwdriver for a screw.
Using the hammer for the screw will end badly and the screwdriver gets nowhere with the nail.

The airbrush can do easily do things that are very difficult using a brush and vice versa.

/ Robin
Tonypots
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 11:17 PM UTC
I've been building models for 50 years. Started with cars and sci-fi in the 60's now its mostly 1/35 armor. I have used an airbrush
extensively when I had the space in my home basement. It's a great
tool that allows you to do advanced paint schemes. Now that we have downsized I don't have a room or space . So I use Tamyia spray can and bottled paint. At least on my models with all the weathering, its not an issue. I loved my airbrush and if you have the space go for it. I practiced on old models to get
the techniques right. IMHO it took me to the next level. I was never able to get a good result hand painting larger surface areas. That's why I use a spray can, even if I can't use my airbrush. Today with all the options out there you should give
it a try. Regards, Tony
kevinekstrom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 82 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been building models for 50 years. Started with cars and sci-fi in the 60's now its mostly 1/35 armor. I have used an airbrush
extensively when I had the space in my home basement. It's a great
tool that allows you to do advanced paint schemes. Now that we have downsized I don't have a room or space . So I use Tamyia spray can and bottled paint. At least on my models with all the weathering, its not an issue. I loved my airbrush and if you have the space go for it. I practiced on old models to get
the techniques right. IMHO it took me to the next level. I was never able to get a good result hand painting larger surface areas. That's why I use a spray can, even if I can't use my airbrush. Today with all the options out there you should give
it a try. Regards, Tony

How much space does an airbrush consume? Even a very small compressor can be tiny and easily stored in a drawer. Not sure I follow the space issue.
 _GOTOTOP