_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
static grass
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 04:57 AM UTC
I bought one of miniart's diorama kits, just a small one the street with park wall and I wanted to use static grass with it. I have never used static grass so I do not even know if it will stick to the plastic wit paint on it. So before iI buy any could anyone tell me if static grass will work for me or will I half to use something else. Also how do you make the static grass stay in place and so on. Thanks for any input
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:53 PM UTC
Hi Ronnie,
Static grass is pretty simple to use. Paint your base where the static grass will go, usually an earth tone. Let it dry, then spread on a thin coat of white glue, Elmers works good for me. If your static grass comes in a container, shake it up to build up a static charge (hence the name!) and then sprinkle it on where you want the grass to be. Shake off the excess, and then gently blow on the grass the base. It will stand up. Once it's dry, you can paint it if needed. Hope this helps.

Jesse
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 09:04 PM UTC
Static grass usually requires a static applicator-- in short, it requires a static charge to apply it properly. Model Railroad companies like Walthers sell electric applicators, although Noch makes one that is a "rub" type- its made from a special vinyl plastic that you rub on a wool surface to give the static grass inside a charge, then shake it over the naturally charged terrain surface, but I've found this only works well in a really low humidity environment. Usually, modelers use a diluted form of white glue as the medium to make the "grass" adhere to the surface. With the electric applicator, dilluted white glue is applied, a wire on a nail is inserted and a charge is applied. The applicator then provides a charge to the static grass, which causes it to stand up when it hits the surface of the terrain. The Noch applicator skips this step. Usually, terrain builders apply sand or ground foam to a surface let it dry, then flow on Acrylic paints it in the appropriate colors. When that's dry you apply the diluted white glue, and apply the static grass while the glue is tacky. When diluting white glue, add a drop of dishwashing detergent-- it will improve the flow. I think there's a you-tube tutorial for building a static grass applicator-- it's not complicated if you want to build your own. Hope this helps.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP