_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Pacific Coast Models Out of Business
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 07:56 PM UTC
I was just made aware that PCM is going out of business. Check out their web site---Ken Lawerence has made the announcement himself. I happened to be at my LHS yesterday when Ken from PCM called the LHS owner about selling off kits in stock. PCM has distributed Meng, Takom, Kittyhawk and many other manufacturers models for several years now, as well as their own line of 1/32 kits. PCM has brought us some great models over the years, with Sword making many of thier 1/32 line, and Eduard and CMK making thier PE and Resin I sure hope some other manufacturer takes over thier line.
VR, Russ
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 126 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 02:50 PM UTC
They are simply retiring and selling off the stock at bargain prices unless a buyer is found for the business, full details from the owner here

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=69927
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 06:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They are simply retiring and selling off the stock at bargain prices unless a buyer is found for the business, full details from the owner here

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=69927

Well-- that's going out of business!
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 10:45 PM UTC
Yes and no, saying going out of business makes it sound as if it is not under their control and can worry people who may have ordered in, winding down and closing due to retirement means those people will not worry as they know their orders etc will be fulfilled. And as they have stated if a buyer comes forward they will sell the company on, in which case neither of the above is true.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes and no, saying going out of business makes it sound as if it is not under their control and can worry people who may have ordered in, winding down and closing due to retirement means those people will not worry as they know their orders etc will be fulfilled. And as they have stated if a buyer comes forward they will sell the company on, in which case neither of the above is true.

We're kind of splitting hairs here-- Ken has said "closing or selling by the end of September" -- which to me means he's going out of business in 40 days. I think it's not "how" they are going out of business-- but that they are going out of business period. I guess I should have said "almost out of business" in the title. The point is, they were one of the last independent hobby distributors on the West Coast of the US. Also thier line of PCM 1/32 aircraft was brought together by Ken. I hope somebody does pick it up, because they did a great job with those kits bringing Sword, Eduard, CMK, Cartograph, and others together to get those kits produced, and they'll be sorely missed.
VR, Russ
Taylortony
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 11:36 PM UTC
I do as well, it won't effect me as I am in Gods country, but they appear to be an excellent company and I've never heard a bad word against them, it would be a nice little company for someone as they have grown it to where it is today... If its doors does shut and hey are left with a lot of stock they are going to have a mega stash to build in retirement.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 11:50 PM UTC
Tony,
I've been watching thier stock lately, and notice more and more items are going "out of stock" in the on-line catalog. I suspect they'll hit the IPMS show vendor circuit here in the US if they have anything left by the end of September. But maybe somebody else will pick up the business, we can hope I guess. My biggest concern is the excellent line of 1/32 kits under thier label. Everything else they've been distributing can be had elsewhere I suppose-- but not PCM itself. Considering what they offered in a kit, with all the aftermarket in one box, the only other company I know of that does that as a standard is Special Hobby.
VR, Russ
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 - 02:19 PM UTC
This may be a trans-atlantic lost in translation thing.

Here in the UK "going out of business" definitely refers to closing due to bankruptcy or insolvency. It would not usually be used to decsribe situations where a viable going concern is closed due to retirement, ill-health or being sold to another company.

In the UK if you hear that a business is "going out of business" then you expect customers money to be lost, gift vouchers won't be honoured, staff will be out on the streets with no notice, missing back pay and proper redundancy and an accountancy firm istepping in to take over with immediate effect.

Cheers,

Nigel
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 - 08:15 PM UTC
Nigel-- I was not aware of that, thanks for pointing it out. It's so frequent here on this side of the pond that you'll drive by a store displaying a large banner that says "Going Out Of Business Sale!!!" Usually in garish colors emblazoned on the storefront! I had no idea it had a different meaning in the mother country. When we have a business that undergoes some sort of insolvency here-- they usually don't advertise at all. That's certainly not the case with PCM--- as they are liquidating thier inventory quite publicly.
VR, Russ
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2017 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigel-- I was not aware of that, thanks for pointing it out. It's so frequent here on this side of the pond that you'll drive by a store displaying a large banner that says "Going Out Of Business Sale!!!" Usually in garish colors emblazoned on the storefront! I had no idea it had a different meaning in the mother country. When we have a business that undergoes some sort of insolvency here-- they usually don't advertise at all. That's certainly not the case with PCM--- as they are liquidating thier inventory quite publicly.
VR, Russ

In the UK the sign would say "Closing Down Sale".

Cheers,

Nigel
 _GOTOTOP