_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Do you really need a PE bending tool?
Namerifrats
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:18 AM UTC
See youtube videos and read articles where some modelers say they never use a special PE bending tool. Just some flat smooth grip pliers and a metal ruler. That's what I've been using as well. Do most of you use a PE bending tool, or feel that its unnecessary?
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 294 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:35 AM UTC
I do both. I even just use tweezers sometimes. It depends on what I'm doing. I paid lees than $40 US for my PE tool and think it was money well spent.
When I'm doing a lot of PE part like brackets or handles it's nice to be able to load them all in at once and be done. I find the tools is easier to use as well for larger or more complex parts.

In the end it just comes done to what you like and what you want to do.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 11:03 AM UTC
I use my bending tool, for longer bends. It is also great for keeping indi tracks lined up. The rest of the time, I use tweezers.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,353 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 01:11 PM UTC
I have both a small 2 inch tool "Bug" and a 5 inch one and also just use tweezers. For longer pieces the tool will ensure no warping occurs and you get an even bend. Even the smaller one is good just to hold the etch while you do the final bends.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 07:30 PM UTC
I've wondered this myself. I do a lot of brass work, both PE and sheet brass. I often scratch build in brass, and I've never used a commercial bender. I use several common items for bending. I have a two types of mini-pliers with smooth jaws-- one has long 3 inch jaws, and is slightly tapered, the other is a shorter 1" square jawed set. I use a reinforced razor blade and my #2 or #11 X-acto chisel blade for tiny parts. Finally, I have a selection of steel rulers, from 6-14 inches for really long bends. I've looked at commercial benders, but they all appear to be made for small bends and the prices seem outrageous. Then you have to fiddle with a knob or two to open the jaws, and clamp the part. The Small shop appears to have the best design though, however, I still don't think I need one. Some might say by the time I purchased all the other tools, I could have purchased a bender-- but, I use the other tools for other purposes too, whereas you can only use the bender for one purpose.
VR, Russ
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

See youtube videos and read articles where some modelers say they never use a special PE bending tool. Just some flat smooth grip pliers and a metal ruler. That's what I've been using as well. Do most of you use a PE bending tool, or feel that its unnecessary?

I use them. In fact I have three of them (different models). I am PE bending challenged...

Come to think of it I am plastic challenged. I need to buy kits instead of building them from scratch from a block of plastic or sheets of plastic

I guess to light my cigars I could go back to rubbing two sticks together instead of using a lighter

Cheers

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 02:52 PM UTC
I have been considering getting one. Pliers, steel rulers, knife blades et.c work just fine for small parts but there are some cases with long bends where I mutter and grumble that I should have gotten myself one of those benders. Two long, straight, non flexible metal surfaces with clean and "sharp" edges (not rounded off) that can be clamped together .....

/ Robin
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,063 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2017 - 07:28 AM UTC
Interesting thread as I have been considering buying a PE bending tool myself. I rarely purchase AM PE, but I do generally use what comes with a kit. Most times I have little difficulty using tweezers, metal ruler, single edge razor blade and the like for most bending. There are times when I wish I had a dedicated tool, especially for longer bends but those occasions are rare. But I find myself wondering if I would use more PE if I had a tool.
 _GOTOTOP