_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
OMG Aber HELP
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 10:52 AM UTC
I recently ordered Aber - 35A03 - 1/35 - German tool holders till 1943. Upon receipt, I found that the etch is either solid aluminum or steel. The photos I've seen show brass. How do I tackle this? Can I send it back and request the brass option?
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 03:16 PM UTC
And what is the problem? being so thin, you should be able to work with it like any other metal...

Perhaps you need to anneal it?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And what is the problem? being so thin, you should be able to work with it like any other metal...

Perhaps you need to anneal it?

You can't solder steel.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 03:30 AM UTC
Au contraire - http://forums.mylargescale.com/15-model-making/11205-soldering-mild-steel.html#/topics/11205

However, are you sure it's steel? If it is ferrous, it will be attracted to a magnet. It might well be nickel-plated brass.
Removed by original poster on 07/17/17 - 04:11:26 (GMT).
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Au contraire - http://forums.mylargescale.com/15-model-making/11205-soldering-mild-steel.html#/topics/11205

However, are you sure it's steel? If it is ferrous, it will be attracted to a magnet. It might well be nickel-plated brass.

Thank you much, for the link. I have filed a test piece and it is not plated. I have not checked to see if it is ferrous.

Quoted Text

I disagree with the link to the blog that said steel can be soldered

Having worked, in a steel mill I had my doubts. I have minor experience welding and was inclined to believe that it could not be soldered.

It appears that I am back, at square one. I know that I can use ca glue, but that is very messy.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thank you much, for the link. I have filed a test piece and it is not plated. I have not checked to see if it is ferrous.

Quoted Text

I disagree with the link to the blog that said steel can be soldered

Having worked, in a steel mill I had my doubts. I have minor experience welding and was inclined to believe that it could not be soldered.

It appears that I am back, at square one. I know that I can use ca glue, but that is very messy.

Matt, I was editing the post and accidentally deleted it-- but the jist of what I said is true- real "steel" cannot be soldered and must be welded, as you indicated. What the blog said is that "softer steel" can be soldered. Softer steel is not really steel anymore-- is an amalgam of Iron and other metals, like nickel, chromium, etc. so what they are calling "steel" isn't really that. I still suspect your part is nickel plated brass, but it might be just nickel. And it might be that it's not intended for soldering either-- just CA or epoxy gluing-- some manufacturers have used tin compounds in the past for that. As I said before in my deleted post, it's not likely to be aluminum for a hobby application, which also can't readily be soldered with the equipment available to hobbyists. However, both Eduard and CMK have used nickel plated brass in the past. I've not seen any Aber PE that way, but that doesn't mean they haven't done it. As for filing a test piece-- brass may not readily look like brass on thinner plated parts.
VR, Russ
Removed by original poster on 07/17/17 - 04:33:04 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 08/14/17 - 08:58:24 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP