_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
British cammo colors
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 02:02 AM UTC
I have a pic in an old Ballantine illustrated weapons book on PT boats, this one a Vosper, on pages 36/37. It seems to have a 3 tone wide stripe cammo on it. Question is, is it white, gray and black or light gray, dark gray and black. if any one can shed so light on it I would appreciate it as this is what I'd like to do my Vosper in. Thanks in advance, Bob D.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 02:23 AM UTC
RN vessel? You mention PT boats, which confused me a bit. Might help if you were to post the photo but it's probably Admiralty greys - I don't recall black being one of the authorised colours. Any idea on timeframe of the image?

There are a few books that cover RN camouflage but most of mine are in storage, although I've just ordered another one that should be here in a week or so and that might help if it arrives before I can access the others.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hi Robert. It's a Vosper, 72'6" long and the pic. was taken in WW2 sometime. It definitely has black stripes on it. They are pretty wide, but being so old a pic. and in black and white it's very hard to distinguish the two other colors.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 12:38 PM UTC
In a monochrome image there are plenty of reasons why something might appear as black but not all of them are that the original was painted that colour. I'm not an expert on the subject but I've accumulated a few books on it over the years and have no recollection of black being a standard RN cam colour during WW2.

Given that, I'd still lean towards three greys myself (we know that greys were used) unless someone can find corroborating evidence for black in a disruptive scheme. Do you have the Lambert & Ross book on Vospers (Allied coastal forces Vol 2, I think) of Alan Raven's series on camouflage for Warship Perspectives? They are/were all very knowledgeable on the subject. The old Almark book on RN camouflage also had some info but is probably a bit out of date now.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 03:01 AM UTC
Hi Robert, Don't have those books. I will go with the 3 gray tones you suggested. What grays would you recommend from Testors rattle cans that would be as close to the originals.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 04:15 AM UTC
No idea as Testors paint appears to be largely unavailable over here. I'd suggest getting hold of the Snyder & Short paint chips as a starting point and matching as closely as you can to those. It is something of an inexact science though, as paint used on warships was mixed locally and retouched frequently, so there is rather more leeway than with factory-applied schemes as might be found on military kit or aircraft.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 11:58 PM UTC
Thanks very much Robert. I get to use the by god by guess method then. Can't be too far off then.
 _GOTOTOP