_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Alclad question
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,909 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:51 PM UTC
Does Alclad age the same as SnJ used to? I know that if you tried to use an open, partially used bottle of SnJ, what was left in the bottle wouldn't work as well. Can you use an open, partially used bottle of Alclad or do you need a new one?

Thanks!

Michael
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 11:08 PM UTC
Michael,
I've been using Alclad for 3 years now. I've never had it go bad on me. If you find you are getting dry-tip in your airbrush, just add more lacquer thinner.

Gaz
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 11:36 PM UTC
Thanks Gary, that's what I needed to know!

Michael
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 05:50 PM UTC
I'm with Gaz, been using the same jars for several years. Positive is - don't need new Alclad. Negative is - I'm not getting enough bench time
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 07:50 PM UTC
I have not had the issues with Alclad you describe here. Just bear in mind to airbrush with low pressure and to build up very thin layers allowing some drying time in between; Trying to spray one fat layer with high pressure results in de primer melting and flowing away givign a very ugly result
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does Alclad age the same as SnJ used to? I know that if you tried to use an open, partially used bottle of SnJ, what was left in the bottle wouldn't work as well. Can you use an open, partially used bottle of Alclad or do you need a new one?

Thanks!

Michael

I've used Alclad and Alclad II for about ten years now, and have about 30 bottles of varying colors and primers in my workshop. I think they age pretty well, but I have noticed that as I get down to the bottom of an open bottle, they tend to not mix quite as well, and a few weeks ago I had to throw out a bottle that I couldn't get to mix properly-- there was about 1/4 of the bottle left. I think this is because as I use the Alclad, I tend to use up the carrier and leave the solids in the bottle since it settles so fast if I don't keep the bottle mixed during an airbrush session. However, I used to work in a LHS, and we had a shipment of Gold Alclad in plastic bottles a little larger than the smaller glass botttles-- after a few months on the shelf, we noted the bottles themselves were turning from clear to a milky-white, and the solids settled to the bottom and could no longer be mixed properly-- we ended up dumping the entire box of six bottles. I think Alclad decided to go back to glass bottles, because we reported it-- and the next shipment came to us in all glass bottles. I've never had a problem with the glass bottles-- they all seem to be fine even ten years after I bought them-- as long as they are sealed-- I think if you open them, you need to make sure you keep mixing them during use.
VR, Russ
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 09:03 PM UTC
Thanks guys! I'm planning on using it on the Tamiya P-51 I'm building for the ETO campaign. Black primer is already on, so we'll see how it goes.

Michael
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 10:03 PM UTC
Michael,
Just make sure your black primer coat is smooth, clean and glossy--Alclad picks up and magnifies all surface imperfections as the coats are really thin. The advice above about putting on thin coats is really true-- don't load it all in one heavy coat-- as it will run and build up where you don't want it to. I recommend about 12-18 PSI at a distance of about 4"-6". Build up 2-3 coats. It can also be polished out a little with a soft cloth between coats--but be careful with dust-- it'll show right through the last coat. I also recommend Alclad clear gloss as a topcoat. Alclad dries to the touch in about 15 minutes, then you can apply a second coat.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP