_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Rifled 1/35 scale printed barrels
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 03:53 PM UTC
Can printed barrels be done with rifling in them?
I do have one piece left from Armor research.

Thanks

Jeff
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 09:51 PM UTC
Yes, printed barrels can be done with rifling. How the rifling would look after printing, I don't know. It might be full of wax or residue from the printing process but they should still render.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 10:50 PM UTC
Would it be worthwhile? Rifling grooves, even in tank guns, are not very wide or deep (I think Kurt posted some dims recently) so there is a very good chance of them being overscale if you could actually see them without magnification.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 08:13 AM UTC
Rifling can be rendered in metal barrels and not be overscale. Based on that, they can also be rendered in a printed barrel and be mostly accurate, I believe. Where did he post dims? I could use them in some future projects I have planned.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 11:24 AM UTC
No, I don't remember. However, a tiny amount of digging reveals that USN barrels typically have grooves of 0.5-1% of the calibre, so an 8" barrel (the largest naval calibre in widespread land service) would have grooves of up to 2.03mm. That's 0.058mm in 1/35. I'm not sure I could see that, given that it is around half the diameter of a (thick) human hair. I'm given to understand that it is technically possible however, although I imagine that the barrel would need to be printed vertically and you still have the issue of ridging on the exterior to overcome at the post production stage, so question whether it is worthwhile.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 03:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies, guess will stay with the armor research PE stuff.
It does show up when down a blank barrel.
One judge at a show carries , a mirror on a pole, or called a mechanics mirror.

Jeff
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, I don't remember. However, a tiny amount of digging reveals that USN barrels typically have grooves of 0.5-1% of the calibre, so an 8" barrel (the largest naval calibre in widespread land service) would have grooves of up to 2.03mm. That's 0.058mm in 1/35. I'm not sure I could see that, given that it is around half the diameter of a (thick) human hair. I'm given to understand that it is technically possible however, although I imagine that the barrel would need to be printed vertically and you still have the issue of ridging on the exterior to overcome at the post production stage, so question whether it is worthwhile.

Actually, if printed vertically "ridging" would not be pronounced enough to be a factor. I'll have to check the rifling on a 75mm M4 barrel I have. With the rifling being so small, .1mm would be nearly unnoticeable from .058mm.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 03:31 PM UTC
Yes in say a 75 MM would hardly see it, but when you go to 8" and 175 MM you do. At least me with my magnifying head piece I can.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP