_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
M48 stowage during the Vietnam conflict
Luftan
Visit this Community
Aichi-ken, Japan / 日本
entire network: 87 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hello. I am currently working on Dragon`s M48A3 mod.B, planning to turn it into my first diorama.
I have finished constructing the tank, and started to fiddle around with stowage to make it look more "life-like". I am using Legend`s stowage set as my primary parts.

During the war, tank crews used empty ammo cases to store their daily goods. Some of these boxes were apparently wielded directly to the tank`s turret. Is there any picture showing how these boxes were exactly wielded? Were they wielded on the railings on the side or... ?

Also, if you have any photo showing M48 with interesting stowage, please let me know! Thank you in advance.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 - 05:27 PM UTC
I seriously doubt that any of those ammunition boxes were welded to the turret. Much more likely to have been attached using wire or rope between the handles on the box and the rail or other convenient point on the turret.
Luftan
Visit this Community
Aichi-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Friday, June 23, 2017 - 09:02 PM UTC
I read it here on AMPS website.
http://www.amps-armor.org/SiteReviews/ShowReview.aspx?ID=2804&Type=FL

Quoted Text

The box style containers. These were often seen lashed or welded to the sides of the turrets. (Two sprues of two boxes)

In the picture below, the ammo box doesnt seem to be hanging by wire or anything.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 04:01 AM UTC
Yep plenty of pics of them on there.
The big ones, Legends productions does two sets.

http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/lf7204-m48a3-vietnam-sand-bag-armor-stowage-set/

http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/lf1074-m48a3-vietnam-stowage-set/

http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/269-m48a3-vietnam-stowage-set-ii/

https://www.google.com/search?q=M48A3+in+nam&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwiF5f7Oy9fUAhUD9WMKHVA0A_kQsAQINg&biw=1680&bih=890#imgrc=_

And plenty of pics on the web.

And a big welcome.

One more thing , nice build you have there.

Shoot me a PM I have some pics, but most are what you get on the web.

Email best way.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 05:03 AM UTC
Not sure why they say they were welded, the metal on those cans would not likely be welded to the turret side, but were more likely attached to the spare track hanger rail on the turret with a bolt and hanger through the back of the can. The box on the right side of the turret looks like a wood box-- and it certainly wouldn't be welded. These cans could also be attached with a combination of WD-1 commo wire, bolts or hangers through the back. Cans on the bustle rack in the resin set are 40mm cans, the turret side cans in the photo look like M203 round cans.
VR, Russ
Luftan
Visit this Community
Aichi-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 05:56 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply and some insight. Now that you guys mention, it really doesnt make sense that these boxes would be welded when you can attach them quite easily on to the rail.
I wonder where AMPS got the source from...

Thank you for the welcome Jeff. I sent you a PM.
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 11:35 AM UTC
Is an umbrella interesting stowage?

http://main-battle-tank.tumblr.com/image/121552402617
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 01:08 PM UTC
Just because you read something on the AMPS site doesn't mean that it is based on AMPS's corporate view (and as far as I know it doesn't have one on such issues). It's probably just something that a member typed in a review or article and unless he cited a reliable source which is corroborated elsewhere, there is a chance that he might just be in error. We have all said or written stuff which we later found out not to be correct. There are many easier and better ways to attach a sheet metal bin to a tank than getting the LAD or US equivalent to weld it on.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 04:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The box style containers. These were often seen lashed or welded to the sides of the turrets. (Two sprues of two boxes)

In the picture below, the ammo box doesnt seem to be hanging by wire or anything.

The box is hanging off the infantry rail by means of the tow ring. Somebody ran wire through the box and put that through the hole on the tow ring and hung the tow rung over the infantry rail. Notice that the tow shackle is also on the infantry rail. Very nice thing to hang stuff on too.

Ammo boxes could be bolted to the fenders as fenders are only sheet metal. And center guides hook on infantry rails and the rails of the bustle rack very nicely.
Luftan
Visit this Community
Aichi-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Saturday, June 24, 2017 - 10:06 PM UTC
The umbrella sure looks interesting, but may be unfit for combat diorama. Is that a ZSU-23-2 mounted on the turret!? wow!

Thank you all for the reply. Now I have some clue to how to hang those ammo boxes
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 01:22 AM UTC
Those are 'just' twin .50 Brownings. A similar twin setup is seen on at least one M551 in RVN.

I don't think there is such a thing as a ZSU-23-2, which would be an SP twin 23mm. The twin ZU-23-2 ground mount is a substantial affair and I can't imagine why anyone would even consider fitting one to an M48 turret in the real world.
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 25, 2017 - 07:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The umbrella sure looks interesting, but may be unfit for combat diorama. Is that a ZSU-23-2 mounted on the turret!? wow!

Thank you all for the reply. Now I have some clue to how to hang those ammo boxes

Maybe not opened up but folded and stuck in the turret bustle rack with a colorful cooler and a couple of lawn chairs it would look good.
Luftan
Visit this Community
Aichi-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 06:42 AM UTC
Hi all.
I ended up attaching a 0.2mm steel wire shaped like a hook.

I think that`ll do for now.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 04:31 AM UTC
Looks good indeed.

On that pic you posted, reminds me of Korea, and an M-60 the tanker guy had it buried up to the fenders , was holding up the entire column, we had to make up a crib deal plus hook another M-60 to our M 88, it get it pulled out,well the platoons M 88 not mine I drove the tool truck and water Buffalo.5 Ton bridge truck when needed.

He was pissed LOL

Jeff
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 74 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Luftan,
As the guy who wrote the review, I looked at many pictures of M48s in Viet Nam and most had the 20 & 40mm ammunition cans and chests lashed to various parts of the vehicles. I relooked my pics and there are some that are mounted on top of the turret rails, on the side of the turrets that are not lashed to the tank with straps or rope... My logical conclusion was that there was some welding of some kind done to secure these items to the tank. I also based that assumption on 21 years of serving on M60A3s and then on M1A1s. Was I right or not, I don't know but it made sense to me at the time.

John
Luftan
Visit this Community
Aichi-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 01:33 PM UTC
Hi.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure you know that I wasn't trying to blame on reviewer or anything.
Afterall, your review was the one that convinced me to purchase this rather pricy stowage kit
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 06:24 PM UTC
Hi John

It occurs to me that one option is to weld bolts or threaded rods to the armour and then thread the boxes over them via drilled holes and secure with nuts on the inside. This is how the uparmoured KV-1 was fitted with the extra plate and should be feasible for bins too. I suspect that such things are rather more common on campaign than in the peacetime army but did you come across the practice?
 _GOTOTOP