_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Aiming stakes and rounds
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 05:24 PM UTC
While on the subject is there a set number of rounds allowed for a gun at say a fire base in Nam, say a 203 MM?

Allowed only say 100 rounds and power charges near one or more.

And were aiming stakes used also?

I see a few pics with the red white poles in them but most not.

Thanks

Jeff
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 05:33 PM UTC
No, there was not really a set number of rounds per say. There would be a number of rounds prepared based on how many the crew thought would be fired in the near future, but it was all situation dependent. Also, fused rounds were not left sitting around. The fuses are only added when they are being prepared for firing.

As to aiming stakes, they are usually a backup, or used in a temporary position. The primary aiming device is a collimator, which is a small scope that is surveyed in position and has fine increments on it that can be read through the aiming sight (called a PanTel - Panagraphic Telescope) on the howitzer. In fixed positions, usually a more permanent aim point is used as a backup, called a DAP (Distant Aiming Point), like a building or a water tower, etc.. Something that is in a known position and will not be moving any time soon.
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 156 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 09:34 PM UTC
Thanks Gino!

The aiming stake--that's the 6' tall (+/-?) red and white stake, correct? I've seen images of them with a GI flashlight taped tot he top, and understand they are used to register the gun (I think), but where were they positioned? I saw one image where it was at about 8 o'clock to the gun commander, and about 20 feet from the trails. Could this have been used for a different gun out-of-frame?

Thanks for helping a guy out with all of the Redlegs questions!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 09:41 PM UTC
Thanks a bunch Gino, I knew I should of reuped as an artillery guy.

Tried tanker , told me I would have to do my time, then reenlist to get that, said no thank you.

Jeff
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 10:05 PM UTC
The aiming stakes are used to aim the gun off of, hence aiming stakes. The gun is laid into position and the stakes are set out usually in front of the gun at about the 10 o'clock position. The stakes are at a known direction and are used to swing the gun tube left or right to adjust the firing direction or azimuth of fire through the pantel. When used at night, anglehead (GI) flashlights are hung on the top of the stakes using a purpose-made hanger (not usually tape). This allows the stakes to be seen at night.
 _GOTOTOP