_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Pigments
Namerifrats
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 02:05 AM UTC
Wanting to try some pigment on a build I'm working on. Never messed with it before. See a lot of brands, AK, Mig, Vallejo, etc. Is one brand much better than the others? Tried finding some general artists pigments at local art stores, Hobby Lobby and Michaels....none there.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 02:12 AM UTC
Their all the same,whatever color suits you and whatever brand is available.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 02:13 PM UTC
I use pastel chalk I bought at a local art store. Ground them with a mortar and pestle.

You don't need to spend a lot.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 02:26 PM UTC
[quote]I use pastel chalk I bought at a local art store./quote]

From my own experience, pastel chalk blows away. If you do go this route, lay a clear coat down and apply pigment while it is still wet.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 03:21 PM UTC
What I started with ,Pastels, way before all the pigments came along, yes do have too many pigments now,but yes they will go away quicker,but also easier to remove in case of an oops.
Have you tried using the pigment fixer on them Matt?
Everybody and their mother makes pigments now, look also at the train folks.

Jeff
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 - 03:00 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

I use pastel chalk I bought at a local art store./quote]

From my own experience, pastel chalk blows away. If you do go this route, lay a clear coat down and apply pigment while it is still wet.

I fix them with Windex Either misted on, or, I apply them with a Windex dampened brush. Once dry, any spots that have come out a little heavy can be brushed off with a dry brush.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have tried water and isopropyl alcohol. I am frugal. Never purchased any purpose made pigment fixer.

Quoted Text

Once dry, any spots that have come out a little heavy can be brushed off with a dry brush.

That is the problem. When I spray a final flat coat to seal them, they blow away.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have tried water and isopropyl alcohol. I am frugal. Never purchased any purpose made pigment fixer.

Quoted Text

Once dry, any spots that have come out a little heavy can be brushed off with a dry brush.

That is the problem. When I spray a final flat coat to seal them, they blow away.

I've never used water or isopropyl so I can't compare. But glass cleaner is a great fixative. When I wrote "Brushed off" I would have been better off saying "brushed off with some effort". To date I haven't accidentally removed the pastels I laid on.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 03:19 AM UTC
I personally prefer the Pigments but as always the best product is just what you feel better with, for quality I have 6 different brands, Humbrol, Vallejo, LifeColors,Ammo,AK and MIG Productions, except MIG P. the others are more or less all Equal, I find MIG P. of a slightly lower quality, same shade are not well mixed and there are clumps of white powder (talcum ... ... chalk)in it but they are now out of production,or more precisely it now appears to be produced under the brand "Abteilung 502" which is now linked to AK, we hope to have improved the quality because it was the brand with more 'shade than all the others but also the most expensive.

To fix I have used various, specific and non-specific products, each has its "why", Gloss, Satin or Matt varnish, pigment fixer,Humbrol Decalfix (works like fixer but can be reactivated with a brush dampened in Water),resin, water and plaster, etc .. Everyone works in a somewhat different way.

_GOTOTOP