_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Leaving
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 01:54 PM UTC
As several of you know, I have been on hiatus. I have one campaign to complete. After that, I will be leaving the hobby. I just can't find the motivation I once had. You can expect me to sell off most of my consumable and some of my tools. I like to think that I will return, one day. I will still be researching and offering what little advice I can. Mainly, I want to wish all of you great satisfaction in your quest for the perfect build.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 03:53 PM UTC
Hi Matt,
Sorry to hear you are leaving. I quit also many years ago, fed up of overcomplicated projects beyond my skills... Now I still superdetail some models, but relax with others right out of the box.

Take care,
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:20 AM UTC
Sorry to see you go. It's a drag that you can't find the motivation. I find myself wanting to quit when I see badass builds, like that Russian Whippet on the main page.
Kinda make me wonder why I waste the time.
But still I continue.

May you find solace and peace in your hiatus, then realize you F'd up and come back in a hurry!!

-JoeP
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:24 AM UTC
Unless you need the cash or are short of space,I would hold on to what you got,why make it so final.I quit for a few years because of new hobbies and a couple of moves,when I restarted it was nice to have my stuff on hand.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unless you need the cash or are short of space,I would hold on to what you got,why make it so final.I quit for a few years because of new hobbies and a couple of moves,when I restarted it was nice to have my stuff on hand.

Same same,i quit few time but i always store my stuff ready to restart
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 07:44 AM UTC
Don't do it. You'll liquidate everything only to suffer from deep regrets later on. I have reassessed the hobby and what I do any number of times and found it is broad enough to support any number of changes in attitude about what and how you build.

I was dissatisfied and built a pile of playscale doll furniture. Same skills different scale and end product, then did winged things and ships before coming back to armor and enjoying it now more than ever.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 07:55 AM UTC
I don't intend to sell tools I use often. But, I have multiples of some(3 seem scrapers, etc.).
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 08:03 AM UTC
All the best, Matt. But I hope you just back away, catch your breath, and re-ignite your interest in the hobby.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 01:39 PM UTC
Never say never. I've been on hiatus a few times due to military duties, school, professional career and having the house destroyed in a fire. In fact it's been almost exactly 10 years since the fire that destroyed most of my stash and equipment (my airbrushes and compressor were in the only room that didn't burn) and I decided to walk away from the hobby. About 4-5 years that I got the itch to get back into it, rebuilding the tools from scratch while on my fixed pension was the hardest. So pack your gear carefully, store securely (preferably in a fireproof bunker) and take a break. I'm sure you'll return. And if not, find a budding young modeller who can't afford all the tools and gift him/her yours. I got many of my tools in my early years from older modellers who helped me get started and over the years I've given away more tools and supplies than I can count to kids. I gave away my old airbrushes last year. They are 30 odd years old but still work perfectly (lots to be said about buying quality) to a new modeller. He's learning to use them and I hope he gets years of use out of them.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 - 05:27 AM UTC
I would keep all the stuff, I have let go myself a few times but come back it seems.
Years ago I sold off half of what I have now, guess what now trying to find that half is the problem.
Enjoy on whatever you do.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP