_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Airbrush Problems?
spiralcity
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 150 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 05:28 PM UTC
OK, I think I have a personal issue. I hope I am not the only person on the planet who deals with the issue.

Here it is:

I buy a new airbrush and it arrives all shiny and new and I just cant bring myself to use it because I do not want to dirty up the brush and ruin it's newness.

I just experienced this problem with my Richpen 113C. My issue is so severe that I actually bought a second 113C, just so I could keep one all clean and new.

Yea, I know, it's an issue!

I find that I do this with certain model kits also. I seem to need a spare to remain on the shelf.

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:25 PM UTC
I'm sorry to say (or maybe very very happy) that I do not suffer from this problem. I do buy more than one of some kits but that is only because I want to build both/all variants.
I know one modeller who brings side cutters along when he goes shopping so that he can start cutting up the sprues immediately after paying for the kit. Sometimes he sells them a few months later when he realises he will not build them.We use to call those kits anthills since the heap in one corner of the box looks like anthill. Fortunately someone persuaded this modeller to keep the little number flags attached to the loose parts, cut the injection gate and the flag out from the sprue instead of cutting the part from the sprue. This way there is at least a fair chance of salvaging the kit afterwards. It gets really difficult with some/many kits by Dragon where several sprues have similar parts with similar or same number.

On way of forcing oneself to stop keeping the kits intact and untouched is to have a large stash, when the stash outgrows the allotted space it is time to start building faster, selling kits OR start making the boxes smaller. There is usually enough free space in a box to be able to squeeze in the sprues from another box. Cut out and save any vital information from the empty box and discard the rest. Some kits can also be relocated into smaller and sturdier boxes, sometimes the original boxes are simply far too weak. Especially if they can't all be stored on the top of the shelf/stash.
/ Robin
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, I think I have a personal issue. I hope I am not the only person on the planet who deals with the issue.

Here it is:

I buy a new airbrush and it arrives all shiny and new and I just cant bring myself to use it because I do not want to dirty up the brush and ruin it's newness.

I just experienced this problem with my Richpen 113C. My issue is so severe that I actually bought a second 113C, just so I could keep one all clean and new.

Yea, I know, it's an issue!

I find that I do this with certain model kits also. I seem to need a spare to remain on the shelf.

Guilty also, but mine are Iwata.

Just can't seem to let go of using my 25 plus year old single action Paasche airbrush.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 09:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, I think I have a personal issue...I buy a new airbrush and it arrives all shiny and new and I just cant bring myself to use it because I do not want to dirty up the brush and ruin it's newness....My issue is so severe that I actually bought a second 113C, just so I could keep one all clean and new....I find that I do this with certain model kits also. I seem to need a spare to remain on the shelf.

I'd say this is not an issue, especially if you do this only occasionally. However, if it carries over to other aspects of your life-- and you by two of everything just to keep one "nice", then you probably need to see somebody about it. If it's just something you occasionally do in modeling, don't worry about it-- it is a hobby after all. I sometimes buy two of something if I think I won't be able to get another one later, which happens frequently in the "modeling world".
When I worked in a LHS we had two customers who were definitely "disturbed". The first was an 86 year old guy who modeled only 1/72 scale aircraft. He'd buy two or three of everything in 1/72 scale, and had been doing so for years. One day his son came into the shop and asked us to discourage him from buying multiples of kits as his father had a 12' x 12' spare bedroom filled floor to ceiling with unbuilt kits, but only had about 60 finished models. He even gave us a list of kits his Dad had, so we could discourage him from buying a kit he already had. He didn't mind his Dad getting "kit therapy" once in a while, but his Dad had turned from "collecting" to just hoarding. The second story is more disturbing. We had a guy come into the shop at least once a month and spend nearly $200 on duplicates of car kits, but never any paints, cements or tools. I finally asked him why he didn't buy modeling supplies. He said he occasionally built a kit, but he preferred to just open the box and look at the sprues for a while, but since most kits couldn't be made into "the perfect model" he'd throw the opened kit away after "studying it". The second kit he wouldn't open because he wanted it to be "pristine" in "mint" condition so he could eventually resell it on eBay. He told me he often did this not just with models but also with clothing, everyday items, and tools, occasionally even food items! He said his "crazy" wife (his words) had left him, but she was the one who needed help, since he was going to make a fortune on all the stuff he'd kept in "pristine condition" over the years! I think all of us have a touch of "modeling insanity" occasionally, but its not "crazy" unless it becomes habitual and overlaps into other aspects of your life.
VR, Russ
spiralcity
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

OK, I think I have a personal issue...I buy a new airbrush and it arrives all shiny and new and I just cant bring myself to use it because I do not want to dirty up the brush and ruin it's newness....My issue is so severe that I actually bought a second 113C, just so I could keep one all clean and new....I find that I do this with certain model kits also. I seem to need a spare to remain on the shelf.

I'd say this is not an issue, especially if you do this only occasionally. However, if it carries over to other aspects of your life-- and you by two of everything just to keep one "nice", then you probably need to see somebody about it. If it's just something you occasionally do in modeling, don't worry about it-- it is a hobby after all. I sometimes buy two of something if I think I won't be able to get another one later, which happens frequently in the "modeling world".
When I worked in a LHS we had two customers who were definitely "disturbed". The first was an 86 year old guy who modeled only 1/72 scale aircraft. He'd buy two or three of everything in 1/72 scale, and had been doing so for years. One day his son came into the shop and asked us to discourage him from buying multiples of kits as his father had a 12' x 12' spare bedroom filled floor to ceiling with unbuilt kits, but only had about 60 finished models. He even gave us a list of kits his Dad had, so we could discourage him from buying a kit he already had. He didn't mind his Dad getting "kit therapy" once in a while, but his Dad had turned from "collecting" to just hoarding. The second story is more disturbing. We had a guy come into the shop at least once a month and spend nearly $200 on duplicates of car kits, but never any paints, cements or tools. I finally asked him why he didn't buy modeling supplies. He said he occasionally built a kit, but he preferred to just open the box and look at the sprues for a while, but since most kits couldn't be made into "the perfect model" he'd throw the opened kit away after "studying it". The second kit he wouldn't open because he wanted it to be "pristine" in "mint" condition so he could eventually resell it on eBay. He told me he often did this not just with models but also with clothing, everyday items, and tools, occasionally even food items! He said his "crazy" wife (his words) had left him, but she was the one who needed help, since he was going to make a fortune on all the stuff he'd kept in "pristine condition" over the years! I think all of us have a touch of "modeling insanity" occasionally, but its not "crazy" unless it becomes habitual and overlaps into other aspects of your life.
VR, Russ

Well, I do not buy two of everything, but for some reason I do have this problem with airbrushes (although I never had an issue mucking up my old VL, or Talon. I do have a Precision Treo I just wont use, but that is because parts and needles are now hard to come by for the gun, but I also have a Badger Renegade I just wont use, no actual reason for that except I don't want to muck it up. I tend to use my Talon 99.9 % of the time, and I now have the second 113C that I hope I can get myself to use.
ACESES5
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 02:18 AM UTC
Me too, Iwata neo, I finely got myself to dirty it and use it, what a difference from my old Paasche H.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 03:21 AM UTC
I don't have the 'can't use the new airbrush' issue but I do have the 'ewww I gotta get the [fill-in airbrush brand/model here ]'. Since my first Paashe H1 I got in the late '60's to my most recent Badger Krome (or was it the Iwata HP-B Plus), I have 14 Airbrushes. All of them I have used. Funny thing is with all them AB's my skills stay about the same - Mediocre. Go figure. For compressors, not going there... Maybe I should be thankful I don't have your issue. All those AB's lying around doing nothing. I know over the years my wallet hates me.

Cheers
spiralcity
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 09:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't have the 'can't use the new airbrush' issue but I do have the 'ewww I gotta get the [fill-in airbrush brand/model here ]'. Since my first Paashe H1 I got in the late '60's to my most recent Badger Krome (or was it the Iwata HP-B Plus), I have 14 Airbrushes. All of them I have used. Funny thing is with all them AB's my skills stay about the same - Mediocre. Go figure. For compressors, not going there... Maybe I should be thankful I don't have your issue. All those AB's lying around doing nothing. I know over the years my wallet hates me.

Cheers

My airbrush count is at 9, but I tend to only use 3 of my guns, for the most part just 2. My Talon I use most often, my old Badger 200 GIL gets used for shading (when I'm in the mood to do so), my VL is relegated to clear coats. The rest I never touch, but one of the guns, my Precision Aire is hard to get parts for, so that's my excuse for never touching that gun, the others I have no good reason not to break them out and use them but I simply haven't been able to bring myself to do so. Funny thing is I still want to buy the SOTAR for messing around with free hand art (not that I'm any good at it) I just want to mess around a bit, but I will probably not want to muck it up once it arrives.

These are my 2 new Richpen 113C's. The upper has the double cut handle and was the first one I received. I bought the 2cnd without the double cut hoping it would seem more tool like and I would use it. So far I haven't touched either and it's been well over 2 months since I owned both.

_GOTOTOP