_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Hobby Boss Schneider CA1 Tracks
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 06:50 PM UTC
In observance of the 100th anniversary of the Great War, I started building WWI subjects a couple of years ago. I had an Emhar Whippet on hand that I hadn’t gotten to; I purchased a Tamiya Mark IV, a Takom St. Chamond and Whippet (to replace the sad-sack Emhar mold), a Meng A7V and ft-17. Finally, I bought a Hobby Boss Schneider CA1 to round out the WWI armor field. All of these purchases were made after only a cursory look at reviews and recommendations. While I’m just now building the A7V and waiting to build the Meng Whippet, the other builds have been highly enjoyable.
Had I looked closer at the Hobby Boss Schneider reviews, I no doubt would have seen the across-the-board panning of the tracks. It was only when I started to tackle them that I realized just how inadequate they are for an otherwise pleasant model to build. As was noted in one review, there are no positive mating features for each three-piece track section; the modeler has to eyeball the positioning of each link, and the result is likely what you’d expect from most everyone’s attempts. I’d read of more than one builder abandoning the project and, with no aftermarket tracks available, resigning the kit to the shelf or (gulp) the trash bin.
I was about to follow suit with those who had ditched their Schneider kits when I recalled a few forays into carpentry projects requiring scratch-built jigs. So I thought, hey, what the hell’s the difference here? I had some thick plastic card stock on hand—sorry, but I don’t know the thickness since I don’t have the packaging. I made what might appear to be a deep shovel, with dimensions just wide enough to hold the actual track plate (Hobby Boss part #T2). HB parts T1 and T3 overhang the front or leading edge of the track plate (the slotted hinge joint); T1 and T3 are positioned in the only positive mating point (such as it is) on T2: two depressions that a.) are much wider than necessary to accommodate the front edges of T1 and T3, and b.) do not provide for an accurate centering and mating of T1 and T3; these parts butt up against T2’s leading edge but can float side to side in either direction, causing for a potentially (and significantly) misaligned track assembly.

To compound the problem, T1 and T3 are joined only at the rear (by a pin protruding from T3 which butts against the flat at the inside-facing rear of T1), while the front remains open as the linking point for the next section of track. As you might guess, the front spacing between T1 and T3 would again have to be eyeballed and the resultant spacing would be inconsistent. In constructing the jig, then, I made a notched handle that continued into the shovel itself; this handle was a strip of the same plastic card used to make the shovel. This portion would be centered so as to bisect the track plate (T2) lengthwise. I found to my great relief that the plastic card is the same width as the pin on the end of T3, so centering this portion would also ensure the proper alignment and spacing of T1 and T3.

As was noted previously, T1 and T3 protrude slightly beyond T2’s leading edge, so I placed two strips vertically in the inside corners of the shovel to act as a stop for T2; this then allowed for the extra space required for T1 and T3 . Finally, before centering and gluing the notched handle into place, I cut a strip off of the bottom of the interior portion to allow for the insertion of the T2 track plate. Using this jig, the track assembly would be reduced to a matter of repetitious production work. Thankfully it went very smoothly and consistently, and the jig ensured that each link element was properly placed.

As for the actual assembly, I glued T3 to T2 with slow-set Zap-A-Gap, squaring it up against the center protrusion of the jig. I then carefully backed the assembly out by grasping the shovel handle and using tweezers. The assembly was then left aside to set and another pair of parts was positioned for assembly. Once a series of 6 or 8 assemblies had dried, I would then link them by joining T3 pin to T3 pinhole; part T1’s were then dry-fit into place in succession and glued with thinset CA EXCEPT for the first and last T1’s, left open to accept the next series of links. And so-on to the end when the last made link is joined to the first made link and the job is complete.

As can be seen from the pictures, I partially completed one set of tracks using the jig and inserting some track links done by hand. The other set was done completely with the jig. I don’t have to tell you which were which! Not only are the jig tracks straight but they’re also cleaner, with virtually no excess glue to speak of.

If I recall correctly, the drive sprocket axle swivels to allow for the fully-closed loop of tracks to be placed. The tracks are then tensioned by moving the drive sprocket back. The axle is then glued in position and the tracks are done. Instead of finding a more or less permanent home on the shelf of unfinished business, the Schneider CA is one of my favorite completed kits to look at. I hope this has helped anyone who has struggled or is struggling with Hobby Boss’s woefully inadequate tracks for this otherwise solid kit.

AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 05:18 PM UTC
I've one of these on the shelf. Been avoiding building it because of what I've seen of the tracks. You came up with a unique solution.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 05:27 PM UTC
I got frustrated after a few UGLY looking links and quit. Karl, with that jig design maybe it's time to resurrect the Schneider. THANK YOU for the tip !
BTW, great job on your Schneider ! Thanks for sharing !
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've one of these on the shelf. Been avoiding building it because of what I've seen of the tracks. You came up with a unique solution.

Thank you, sir. I HAD to do something! It's not in my nature to buy a kit--especially something as unique as the Schneider--and give up on it. Don't get me wrong, the tracks are still a pain, but they're infinitely easier to work with when using a jig like this. I'm pretty certain that it can be vastly improved and enlarged to accommodate several links at once, using the same idea.
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 06:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I got frustrated after a few UGLY looking links and quit. Karl, with that jig design maybe it's time to resurrect the Schneider. THANK YOU for the tip !
BTW, great job on your Schneider ! Thanks for sharing !

As can be seen from a couple of the above photos, the links are potentially horrible if done free hand. My 57-year-old eyes and fingers cannot do that kind of consistent work anymore and I have no illusions about it! It's still a head-scratcher to me that an otherwise solid model was produced with such bad tracks. I'm glad that this might help you build it. I couldn't have finished it without the jig, and that would have bothered me endlessly. And thank you for the complement on the finished product! I used a Black Dog accessories kit and was pretty pleased with it, as well.
 _GOTOTOP