_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
San Fran & DC shops or things to do.
Ultra_aussie
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 197 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 - 07:37 PM UTC
G'day fellas, I am headed to the US for work and will be in Washington DC and San Francisco I might have a little time to set aside to visit a shop or two and other noteworthy locations. Chasing a few suggestions for these spots.
Thanks for any advice. Cheers
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 - 10:17 PM UTC
In San Francisco they have the maritime museum at Fishermans Wharf,can tour a Liberty Ship,and a WWII US sub whose name escapes me at this time.Go walk the Golden Gate Bridge,its awesome.I think there is a Carrier in Oakland to tour,catch a ballgame at the Giants beautiful ball park,

In DC there is so much check out the many museums of tbe Smithsonian like the Air and Space.The Newseum is pretty good also.
Ultra_aussie
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 02:59 PM UTC
Thanks mate. Yes a bit of googling turned up many of them. Alcatraz will be on the list too. I think the carrier is the USS Hornet.
I have been to DC before and a few will get a second visit for sure.
What about model and hobby shops that are worth a visit ?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 03:37 PM UTC
I know http://www.grandtline.com/ is in the Bay area... as is Stickframe, maybe he'll chime in for you.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 10:10 PM UTC
Greetings from SF! Lucky you, work travel with even some time to get out of the tedious conference rooms of the world! Haha. I'm sorry to report there isn't much to report on hobby shops - sadly, many of them have faded away from this part of the world...you would have a little better luck if you were a model rr enthusiast, as there are a couple of good shops still here.

As Tojo72 mentioned, there's plenty to do and see otherwise -

I'm aware of three Navy ship tours, the USS Hornet an aircraft carrier (nearby Alameda) , the Jeremiah O'btien, a liberty ship in SF at the SF Maritine Museum, and the SS Red Oak, a victory ship in fairly nearby Richmond along with the Rosie the Riverer museum (and a good hipster restaurant nearby). Each interesting - I'd be mindful of your time - if here on a weekday the trips in and out of SF can be slow.

If you want to stay in town there's lots to see - first up, sort of, but not in town but worth the effort - Alcatraz and Angel Islands - both have colorful history, provide great views, require a ferry boat ride - an enjoyable experience each.

Walking the Golden Gate Bridge is fun - plus great views

Even if you don't like Baseball, catching a Giants day game at AT&T park is great - almost like a carnival some days - lots of people, sunshine, and views...yes, I'm a big Giants fan...but this year....not great! Go anyway - fun day out at the yard.

Coit Tower is worth seeing and going to the top of - nice views etc.

There are lots of museums and so on - the DeYoung, which also has a great viewing platform above Goldengate park, The SF museum of modern art just had a big remodel - is very cool!, the California Academy of Sciences is great!

Plus - lots and lots of good food - cheap to very expensive!

Or - if Wine is your thing, Sonoma County brings in the Pinots, and Napa County - you know the story there!

One last thing - tho it's late spring/early summer - bring a light coat or windbreaker - while often sunny, there's always a chance of chilly fog, and prevailing wind - not good or at all pleasant if you're running around in shorts and a light shirt!

Ok - welcome to SF - have fun!! Btw - as you can guess, everything is listed on the web - if it's here, somebody has written something about it!

Cheers

Nick
highway70
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 02:38 PM UTC
If you have any interest in railroads a side trip to the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento is worthwhile.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 05:51 PM UTC
Too bad that Littlefield Armor Museum closed up.Never was able to get there.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 08:03 PM UTC
Not much around DC for hobby shops. Dragon Hobby in Sterling, VA is pretty good. Other than that, there is Hobby Works in Fairfax, VA. Both are pretty good all-around hobby shops, nothing special though.
Ultra_aussie
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 08:42 AM UTC
Thanks for all the feedback fellas. And Nick awesome ideas and coverage of all things San Fran. Appreciate the time you took to write all of that for me.

Yes I didn't turn up much from Google in DC either. Looks like a ball game there and the air and space museum or a few others.

Cheers
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 11:35 AM UTC
Sadly, as Gino noted, DC has a dearth of hobby shops. One of the few remaining ones bit the dust early this year (Piper hobby).
 _GOTOTOP