_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
S.P.G. Driver
MrCompletely
Visit this Community
Saitama-ken, Japan / 日本
entire network: 128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 - 08:40 AM UTC
2 of the (many) things I'm working on at pres are the Dragon Hummel and Tamiya Wespe. Thinking ahead to a diorama I was wondering...during a fire mission, what does the driver do? I doubt he just sits their picking his nose; but does he load ammo, does he man the radio, does he have some other job? Pix haven't supplied any answers and I've never served myself so I really aren't sure.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 - 09:31 AM UTC
Is the engine running? Are they expecting counter-battery fire and need to displace quickly?

If the engine is running the driver stays in his position. If countet-battery fire us expected , the engine would be running. If he is picking his nose while monitoring the engine is up to him.
MrCompletely
Visit this Community
Saitama-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 08:26 AM UTC
I'm working on engine off and counter fire not expected.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 10:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm working on engine off and counter fire not expected.

Maintenance and humping ammo. Tracks always need looking at. And when you're satisfied with that, everyone humps ammo. The vehicle stored rounds go by quickly so that means carrying and unpacking rounds from resupply.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 10:49 PM UTC
I'm thinking the muzzle blast would make the driver's seat a mighty uncomfortable place to be during a fire mission. Chances are he helps out with ammo etc until the vehicle needs to move, at which point he jumps back in...
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 04:58 AM UTC
I live fired a Revolutionary War cannon and the safest place to stand was right behind the barrel. That's where the gunners stood as the barrel blast goes away from you and out.

Tank drivers stay in their hole with the gun firing. You just close the hatch. Most of the blast effects miss you because you're in a masked area of the blast envelope. So the safest place for our driver, especially if the engine is running is in his position. Armored vehicle drivers aren't supposed to leave a running engine unattended.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 05:19 AM UTC
On modern US M109 howitzers, the driver stays in position with the hatch closed when firing. His job is to fill out the DA Form 4504 Record of Fire. This form records shell/fuze combo, firing data (azimuth, quadrant, charge, etc.) and is used to keep track of what has been fired and for other uses.
MrCompletely
Visit this Community
Saitama-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 - 07:20 AM UTC
Thanks Stephen, that was pretty much what I'd assumed apart from the track maintenance though.
 _GOTOTOP