_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Late-Night/Drunken/High eBay buys
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 156 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 09:30 AM UTC
Have any of you ever made purchases on eBay that you completely forgot about, but showed up in your box? How about the buyer's remorse after receiving a kit and thinking to yourself "What the actual **** was I thinking?"

Me too.

So, today I came home and this was in my box. Turns out, I ordered it about 6 weeks ago after winning an auction for $11 shipped.

SO! Now I'll be taking a crack at building a 1/20 scale "Nene" figure from Minimum Factory. Looks to be a nice kit--but I've never built anything like it before.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 10:27 AM UTC
Very nice. Would go well with a Girls und Panzer motif. You could skip graded shading and highlight like they do in a manga or anime.

And I know all about buying something direct from Asia and forgetting about it until it shows up 6 weeks later. Usually in my case it arrives registered and I have to troop out to the post office to get it.
salemguy
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 05:15 AM UTC
So for what it's worth...

My problem is going on eBay after a few beers with $60 to spend... and a few hours later I find I've accidentally spent that money 3 times over!

As far as "what was I thinking"... I have a dark side that loves Bandai's Star Wars kits. And While searching for them I ran across this series of what appears to be (large) teddy bear kits.

I don't know where they come from (some anime series or something) but man I've got a burning desire to buy a couple and do some cool oil weathering on them (they are like 1/20 scale).

Maybe another beer will help... or not?

Regards,

Brad.
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 156 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So for what it's worth...

My problem is going on eBay after a few beers with $60 to spend... and a few hours later I find I've accidentally spent that money 3 times over!

As far as "what was I thinking"... I have a dark side that loves Bandai's Star Wars kits. And While searching for them I ran across this series of what appears to be (large) teddy bear kits.

I don't know where they come from (some anime series or something) but man I've got a burning desire to buy a couple and do some cool oil weathering on them (they are like 1/20 scale).

Maybe another beer will help... or not?

Regards,

Brad.

An Oregonian! I'd down in Eugene.
salemguy
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

An Oregonian! I'd down in Eugene.

Hi! I've seen your posts but didn't look at your location.

wow... about 20 years ago my (now ex) wife and I used to drive down to Eugene for the day. I hunted down hobby and camera shops and she went to pet stores. Always worth the trip.

These days I don't know what sort of LHS' exist down there. I was bummed some of my favorites in Portland closed down.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Best Regards,

Brad.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 05:01 AM UTC
Yeah, all of that except the kit-buying part. For me, it's more like standing outside a Karaoke bar in Tokyo in the rain after the last train has left the station for the night and asking myself, "What just happened?"

Good luck with Nene (BTW, for this of you not acquainted with Japanese, that's pronounced Nay-Nay, not Neen)

Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 09:58 AM UTC
I definitely do that!!!😂
What seem to be the umpteenth Tamiya Jeep and Panzer II, duplicate Miniart and Masterbix figure sets and even a duplicate 1/48 German bomber!
Not too mention yeh a few weird anime kits - the Bandai teddy bear kits and a Pit Road Girls und Panzer Type 95 truck...a few retro 1/25 car kits like I need a tenth 1970 Nova...gah!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, all of that except the kit-buying part. For me, it's more like standing outside a Karaoke bar in Tokyo in the rain after the last train has left the station for the night and asking myself, "What just happened?"

Good luck with Nene (BTW, for this of you not acquainted with Japanese, that's pronounced Nay-Nay, not Neen)

Japanese? The Nene is the state bird of Hawai'i. All-American in my book.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 03:04 PM UTC
I received a kit and the etch for it, on the same day, from different sources. I forgot that I had ordered either of them. Now, I have a package to sell.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2017 - 04:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Japanese? The Nene is the state bird of Hawai'i. All-American in my book.

Well, the Hawaiian language slightly predates the forced annexation by America, but point taken...

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 04:20 PM UTC
So how is this Drunken late night figure coming along?

Mr Knuckles.

Jeff
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,925 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 04:39 PM UTC
[quote]Have any of you ever made purchases on eBay that you completely forgot about, but showed up in your box? How about the buyer's remorse after receiving a kit and thinking to yourself "What the actual **** was I thinking?"

Yes but mostly when the item is coming from China or Japan. The shipping takes so long or the hobby shop seems to take their time sending the item that I totally forgotten that I ordered it until it shows up on the porch.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 04:56 PM UTC
The late Steve Goodman (a Chicago folk legend) wrote a song called "Vegematic" on this very subject - well worth looking it up on the interwebs!

In the early days of slow dial-up when screen refreshes and registration of clicks were a tad out of sync, I had more than one "stray click" purchase from ebay that I wasn't wanting.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 05:02 PM UTC
I know exactly what you mean. Time after time I'll go on there and think "That's a good price I'll bid on that" and then another and another when people are selling stashes or part stashes and before I know it I've spent a shedload. Sometimes if I miss the postman I have to go to the sorting office to pick things up. If I don't do it within a few days I forget what I'm actually expecting. I did it yesterday with a parcel that had been there for a fortnight and couldn't remember what I'd won as there was a few bits I'd won since then. Turned out it was a Bren Gun carrier which I'd got dirt cheap because the tracks were missing. I didn't need it as I've already got three but the price was too good to pass on it. In some ways I like it as it's a nice surprise when you forget what you've bought. It's almost like someone else has bought it for you as a surprise pressie lol.
 _GOTOTOP