_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Opening a Shapeways store & 3d CAD service
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 3,959 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 09:27 AM UTC
Hi folks.

I'm planning on opening a store on Shapeways to supply items to the model making and craft community.

This will be in addition to offering a complete 3d CAD modelling service.

I have 20 plus years of experience working as an industrial designer in the manufacturing sector and am a highly skilled 3d CAD modeller.
I have been making models since I was in my early teens and whilst AM companies cover most of the items we need, I find there's still some areas that need unique items created for those extra special projects.

I will also be offering a 3d CAD design service, modelling up complete vehicles/vessels in 3d, given that plans and drawings are available.

Topics are limited only by your imagination.

This plan is only in its infancy at this stage, but if anyone should have any ideas or requests on what products they'd like to see available in 3d CAD or printed on Shapeways, place a comment here or send me a PM.

Russ
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 08:46 PM UTC
just thought I'd give this a little bump

The idea is still peculating in my head and recently I've been looking at 3d resin printing... Somewhat nicer than nylon 3d printing...

One thing I thought of doing was a South Dakota conversion set...????
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 10:44 PM UTC
Well welcome to the community! Quite a few of us do CAD design on Shapeways here but I think there's always room for one more. I'm also about to expand to resin printing. Shapeways has done some things recently that had a very sour taste in the mouths of many designers, including myself, so I purchased an inexpensive printer and will start printing some of my products after I get a hang the printer.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 - 08:27 PM UTC
Thanks Michael

may I ask: what kind of printer did you buy? Is it a resin printer and if so how much was it???
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 345 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2018 - 12:22 PM UTC
I bought an Anycubic Photon for $355. The price seems deceiving but from what I've seen, it's a decently high quality printer. It's a DLP resin printer so it prints at very high detail. If I do decide to continue with printing my own designs, I'll probably have to spend a good deal more in consumables (resin, FEP sheets, etc) and hardware (fume ventilation, curing/washing stations) than just the printer.
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 262 Posts
KitMaker Network: 108 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 - 03:44 AM UTC
Mike and Russ I will be following you'r progress on your enddeavor's. I'm all ways looking for source's for 1/24 scale AM parts that I can use on jeep kits.
I have ordered some gas can's from some one on Shapeways just to get a feel for their work. I'm just not sure about their wheels and tirer's may have to try another sample order.
Again I will be keeping my eye on both of you with the intention of doing business with both of you.

Dave M
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 - 03:48 AM UTC
Dave,

I'm another of the guys. and have done tires for myself as well as several people.

Some of the wheels can be seen here:
http://s60.photobucket.com/user/mdlbldrmatt135/library/Misc%20model%20projects?sort=3&page=1

matt
ianalderman
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 - 03:53 AM UTC
Hi Mike,

I would be interested to see a comparison of the quality of your parts from your printer against those from Shapeways, (where I am both a designer and customer).

TIA,

Ian
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 - 04:19 AM UTC
Russell,

Success to you!
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 - 04:23 AM UTC
Sound amazing Russell!!

I can't wait to see what 1/700 parts you can make that I didn't realize that I need!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2018 - 02:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mike,

I would be interested to see a comparison of the quality of your parts from your printer against those from Shapeways, (where I am both a designer and customer).

TIA,

Ian

Quite a few in the UK use that printer, well one in the UK the other in Australia, ever hear of Kathy Millatt from the UK? Dang good women modeler, she mostly does Train stuff, but varies into scifi.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike and Russ I will be following you'r progress on your enddeavor's. I'm all ways looking for source's for 1/24 scale AM parts that I can use on jeep kits.
I have ordered some gas can's from some one on Shapeways just to get a feel for their work. I'm just not sure about their wheels and tirer's may have to try another sample order.
Again I will be keeping my eye on both of you with the intention of doing business with both of you.

Dave M

For tires, try http://www.fireballmodels.info/
The tires start out as 3d prints then he makes copies out of them.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 9,465 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2018 - 01:53 AM UTC
Welcome Russell - with this industry in its' infancy there is plenty of room for newcomers to join in!

Having purchased parts from a number of designers on the shapeways site I am very happy with the design quality and the print quality (not so much the price quality!)

Shapeways is beginning to feel like it is managed by the same folks who run Photobucket.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 - 09:59 PM UTC
Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Most appreciated.
 _GOTOTOP