_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
How to get more space?
TankerTweaker
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 38 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 06:57 AM UTC
How can you increase the space for adding more pictures to gallery?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 11:04 AM UTC
Becoming a subscriber on the site is the only way of doing that and it costs about the same as a cup of coffee a month.
TankerTweaker
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 38 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Becoming a subscriber on the site is the only way of doing that and it costs about the same as a cup of coffee a month.

Thanks for the info Darren
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 12:42 AM UTC
Darren has the easiest answer. Lots of gain for little cost.

There is another way to maximize what you have, too. When you load a photo into your computer, there is a great deal of embedded formatting in each image file. I discovered by accident long ago (c.2003) that if you open your image in an image program - even Paint - and then save it, many kilobytes of such formatting is stripped away, making your image file a smaller file in terms of Kbs, while not loosing clarity or definition.

Also, resizing images helps a lot. Until recently all the images I posted were a maximum of 600-800 pixels and that range looks real good. I can't speak for today's screens because my PC is from 2010.

It's a pain to open each image and resize/re-save. But it is effective.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 - 08:17 PM UTC
Bear in mind the current minimum spec for images used here in Reviews & Features is now 1200x900 pixels.

Also, if you open a compressed file (like a jpeg image) and re-save it, it gets compressed a second time. This reduces file size, but at a cost in terms of image quality. Not sure if this is actually the size-savings Fred discovered...

I reduce all my images to 1200x900 or 1600x1200 in Photoshop Elements, and the files drop from 3mb (raw from camera) to about 200kb. I always keep a copy of the unedited original too, just in case. You can grab a number of free or low-cost programmes for similar reduction (one of my favourites is Irfanview) if you don't already have one.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2017 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, if you open a compressed file (like a jpeg image) and re-save it, it gets compressed a second time. This reduces file size, but at a cost in terms of image quality. Not sure if this is actually the size-savings Fred discovered...

That is. Now that pix size is going to 1200 X xxx, maybe that will reduce image quality. But then unless one's camera is limited to about 4MP, that shouldn't be a problem I expect. The images I posted on KMN through c. 2008 were a max of 2MP and I had no photo processing software other than Paint.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,909 Posts
KitMaker Network: 162 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 12:25 AM UTC
PhotoRazor is a great free program for resizing images and will do many at once.

Cheers Rob.
2002hummer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 812 Posts
KitMaker Network: 105 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 10:43 PM UTC
I went to add more photos to my gallery but was told it is full and I need to delete some photos. How do I do this. I upload all my photos directly from my computer to my gallery. I dint use the famous Photobucket system, just a direct upload. Any ideas?
cloggerdemps
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 88 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 01:03 PM UTC
Hi
Have the same problem and saw a post a few post below this one about deleting photos from the gallery.Haven't tried it myself yet.
 _GOTOTOP