_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
Scale Barbed Wire hack
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 156 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 03:24 AM UTC
So, with my upcoming WW1 build for the Takom campaign, I was looking at PE and AM barbed wire. Holy **** that stuff is expensive! Not only that, but the PE looks almost two dimensional.

So I brought in some beading wire and tried my hand at scratchbuilding some. I think it turned out great!

I took 3 strands about a foot a piece and sat at my desk on a conference call and began twisting them together. About 15 minutes later my fingers were a little blackened, and I had a single strand of twisted cable. I then took a single strand and began making offset loops, turning the wire three times around the cable each time. I clipped off the loops and BEHOLD! Cheap barbed wire, in scale, for just about free.

...and I can make YARDS of it.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 05:04 PM UTC
Nice stuff and at .45 a bargain.

Jeff
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 03:59 AM UTC
Which is exactly how real barbed wire was made. Very clever. I must give it a try. As you say, the etched stuff is just too 2-dimensional and far too expensive in any quantity.

You can get all sorts of craft wire quite cheaply, and multi-strand electical cable like speaker wire or low-voltage bell cable is dirt cheap. Strip the insulation carefully.

FoG Models make a "barbed wire" which turned out to be just a thin wire wrapped in a spiral around a thicker wire. Made the mistake of getting some. Open bin, insert product ........

Razor wire is made quite differently. It's stamped from thin sheet metal which is then formed around a wire core. Very difficult to replicate. Actually, thinking about it, this is somewhere where very, very thin etch might actually work. Be very fiddly to make up and doubtless cost a fortune.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 - 04:30 AM UTC
Great tech tip

Removed by original poster on 05/30/17 - 20:50:16 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP