_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Attaching Etch
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 04:50 PM UTC
I need to attach 1mm numerals and letters to plastic. I tried extra-thin ca glue. However, it does not give me a long enough working time(have to line up the etch). Are there any options that may work for this?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 05:02 PM UTC
Try the 'Gator Grip' white glue-like product that used to be sold by a guy over on the Model Shipwrights page.
Longer working time, water cleanup, resistant to thinner when cured.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 05:24 PM UTC
I have heard of people setting small PE parts using Future, as it will provide some working time. Once the Future dries, touch with extra thin CA to complete bond.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 05:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Try the 'Gator Grip' white glue-like product that used to be sold by a guy over on the Model Shipwrights page.
Longer working time, water cleanup, resistant to thinner when cured.

I will give it a try.

Quoted Text

I have heard of people setting small PE parts using Future, as it will provide some working time. Once the Future dries, touch with extra thin CA to complete bond.

Extra thin CA drowns the etch. I had to sand it off, when I first tried it. I wonder if Future alone would provide a strong enough bond, as it won't be touched.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 05:27 PM UTC
Colle21 awesome stuff dont glue untill you press togeter the parts you can find on Amazon in varius kit or just the glue

http://italienstylerenov.com/english/

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 05:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Colle21 awesome stuff dont glue untill you press togeter the parts you can find on Amazon in varius kit or just the glue

It sounded perfect, until "IDEAL FOR STICKING : RUBBER, METAL, SUEDE, WOOD, LEATHER, CERAMIC, PLASTIC

EXCEPT PE, PP, PTFE.".
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 06:06 PM UTC
I also recently discovered Gator Glue,really great for PE
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 06:20 PM UTC
not only Future, any clear varnish can do. There is also an UV cured glue that may work. I am yet to try it.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 06:42 PM UTC
I have a large supply of varnish. I think that I will try that, first. The people, at Bronco are sadists btw.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 07:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a large supply of varnish. I think that I will try that, first. The people, at Bronco are sadists btw.

May I ask what they are torturing you with?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 07:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The casting figures are 1mm etch b*stards that you have to attache. There are three lines of them, on each side of the glacis and must be near perfectly in line to fit it. Oh, it's the Chaffee Early kit. The rest of it looks to be superb, if I can get past this step. I'm building it as a review, along with the LionRoar set. On the plus side, I have a very fine bottle of whiskey that I am working myself through.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 07:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The casting figures are 1mm etch b*stards that you have to attache. There are three lines of them, on each side of the glacis and must be near perfectly in line to fit it. Oh, it's the Chaffee Early kit. The rest of it looks to be superb, if I can get past this step. I'm building it as a review, along with the LionRoar set. On the plus side, I have a very fine bottle of whiskey that I am working myself through.

Well if the lines start staggering we can assume it's not the glues fault. Good luck and if model companies are sadists does that make us masochists?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 07:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well if the lines start staggering we can assume it's not the glues fault. Good luck and if model companies are sadists does that make us masochists?

Not all are(cough* Tamiya). But, I for one am a masochist(cough* Dragon). Now, to go draw a template.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2017 - 07:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not all are(cough* Tamiya). But, I for one am a masochist(cough* Dragon). Now, to go draw a template.

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It sounded perfect, until "IDEAL FOR STICKING : RUBBER, METAL, SUEDE, WOOD, LEATHER, CERAMIC, PLASTIC

EXCEPT PE, PP, PTFE.".

For "PE" (photo-etch) on Styrene and Polystyrene works very well, do you use PE (Polyethylene), PP (Polypropylene) or PTFE (Teflon) for models?...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

EXCEPT PE, PP, PTFE.".

For "PE" (photo-etch) on Styrene and Polystyrene works very well, do you use PE (Polyethylene), PP (Polypropylene) or PTFE (Teflon) for models?...

I assumed "PE" was short for "photo etch". However, I am going to try securing it, with varnish before ordering glue.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:06 PM UTC
Hi Matt,

I use Gator Grip for jobs like this, but if it all goes pear-shaped you could toss the etch numbers and reach for a sheet of Archer transfers. The generic Sherman set has bags of tiny numbers that can be assembled into the requisite marks - they are water-slide decals so are much, MUCH easier to work with than PE! I've added tons of accurate numbers to Sherman parts with them - the tricky part is cutting out the tiny suckers in the first place...

(My own Chaffee is still in the box, but I'll be replacing the etch when I get round to it.)
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matt,

I use Gator Grip for jobs like this, but if it all goes pear-shaped you could toss the etch numbers and reach for a sheet of Archer transfers. The generic Sherman set has bags of tiny numbers that can be assembled into the requisite marks - they are water-slide decals so are much, MUCH easier to work with than PE! I've added tons of accurate numbers to Sherman parts with them - the tricky part is cutting out the tiny suckers in the first place...

(My own Chaffee is still in the box, but I'll be replacing the etch when I get round to it.)

I may replace them. I am trying a plausible technique, right now. I gingerly stuck small piece of etch to some Tamiya tape. I applied some varnish to spare styrene and gently laid the tape over it. A little pressure and am waiting for the varnish to cure. I'm hoping that I can remove the tape and the etch will remain stuck in the varnish.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 11:59 PM UTC
The tape theory was an outright failure. I attached three of the numerals using Future. They stuck well enough, until I applied a second coat. As soon as it touched them, they fell off. I will order both of the suggested glues and see which one works better.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 02:31 PM UTC
I mixed a white glue slurry. Works great! Just touch the part to the slurry and apply to the model. You have to allow a few minutes curing time, between each piece. Glad I don't have to buy a special glue that I may only use a few times.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 02:43 PM UTC
Congrats! I'd say have a drink in celebration but by this time the bottle is probably dry. BTW what type of glue did you wind up using and how much did you thin it?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Congrats! I'd say have a drink in celebration but by this time the bottle is probably dry. BTW what type of glue did you wind up using and how much did you thin it?

I used Elmer's white glue. I mixed it in equal parts, with distilled water. After I have secured the etch, I will go back over with Future. I'm hoping this will assist the white glue to keep the etch in place. There may be a little something left in the bottle, but not this time of morning.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 04:35 PM UTC
Sounds so simple. I'll have to give that a try.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 05:31 PM UTC
I will post a photo, after I finished applying the etch to one side. So far, it is going quite well. Aligning them correctly is a little tedious, though. Six parts take about an hour and I believe could be done faster. I'm just not taking the risk of knocking one piece off, before the glue has fully cured.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 06:16 PM UTC
Here are photos of the tools I used and the attached etch. I have yet to coat it, in Future.

_GOTOTOP