_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
How do you use model glue safely ?
GetSchrekt
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 02:33 AM UTC
I have been a modeler for a few years now, but I always get a headache from the glue. I am in a room with a window and a fan. Any tips safety wise so that I can continue to enjoy this hobby. Without losing a few brain cells. Thank you.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 02:38 AM UTC
Crack the window and point the fan, towards it.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 02:57 AM UTC
What kind of glue are you using?

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 03:25 AM UTC
Also get your blood pressure checked as it may not be the glue. Guess how I know that.
GetSchrekt
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:13 AM UTC
I have been doing that
GetSchrekt
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also get your blood pressure checked as it may not be the glue. Guess how I know that.

Sorry I do not understand.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Because high blood pressure can cause symptoms similar to inhaling solvents. Both cause dizziness and headaches. You may think it's the glue, but it could be something entirely different-- don't take a chance and go get your BP checked
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 10:21 AM UTC
As stated before, what kind of glue are you using?
GetSchrekt
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Because high blood pressure can cause symptoms similar to inhaling solvents. Both cause dizziness and headaches. You may think it's the glue, but it could be something entirely different-- don't take a chance and go get your BP checked
VR, Russ

Ah ok. I will try that out. But I highly doubt that is the cause.
GetSchrekt
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As stated before, what kind of glue are you using?

I apologize for not responding sooner. I use tamyia extra thin, and recently started using tamyia Limonene cement, both giving me headaches.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 06:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been a modeler for a few years now, but I always get a headache from the glue. I am in a room with a window and a fan. Any tips safety wise so that I can continue to enjoy this hobby. Without losing a few brain cells. Thank you.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. Headaches can come from anywhere. Do you consume caffeine when model building? Do you build models so much you skip meals? Are you straining your eyes to see lots of tiny things?

Are you allergic to something coming in through your open window? Once the pollen starts flying I have all kinds of headaches and I know it's not necessarily the glue. Then there's the cup of tea I have next to me and my ever changing middle-aged eyesight.

Super glues on the other hand irritate me to the point where I often have to leave the room with tearing eyes.

And I am susceptible to sinus headaches and migraines and again that has nothing to do with glue. I had to get a complete neurological work-up because of some head injuries. And it ain't the glue. My head is just messed up.

GetSchrekt
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Correlation doesn't equal causation. Headaches can come from anywhere. Do you consume caffeine when model building? Do you build models so much you skip meals? Are you straining your eyes to see lots of tiny things?

Are you allergic to something coming in through your open window? Once the pollen starts flying I have all kinds of headaches and I know it's not necessarily the glue. Then there's the cup of tea I have next to me and my ever changing middle-aged eyesight.

Super glues on the other hand irritate me to the point where I often have to leave the room with tearing eyes.

And I am susceptible to sinus headaches and migraines and again that has nothing to do with glue. I had to get a complete neurological work-up because of some head injuries. And it ain't the glue. My head is just messed up.

Fair point. I do watch a movie while modelling. I also handle tiny parts. Thank you for your answer, I am going to isolate the variables and see what is the cause.
Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 07:36 PM UTC
Also check your lighting, too much, too little, incandescent vs florescent. I can't stand florescent, when working with small parts it gives me headaches. Found that out after buying a nice magnifying/florescent lamp.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:08 PM UTC
One other issue you might think about is the amount of liquids you drink-- if you spend hours at the work bench, without taking a drink, you can become dehydrated which will also cause headaches-- so you see, as others have mentioned, there are any number of reasons you could be having headaches besides glue. I know other modelers will likely suggest generators libations of alcoholic beverages here-- but those only make it worse. I've used Tamiya extra thin for years without any problems-- but I also use Walthers Pro-weld and Testors liquid cement. The aerosolization of these glues is rapid, but unless you have your nose right in them, or you have an extreme sensitivity to them, it's doubtful they are the sole cause of your problem. Are you sensitive to any other solvents-- like lacquer thinner for example?
VR, Russ
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:15 PM UTC
With liquid solvents, keeping the lid on until you absolutely need access is one way to reduce the fume effect, along with good ventilation as others have said. It's tempting to leave the bottle open between glue applications for convenience, but that nasty stuff is constantly evaporating into the air you breathe...

And when looking at your work environment, don't forget the furniture! If you are hunched over the bench in an uncomfortable chair, your spine is being stressed and that can lead to headaches. So can tipping your head down all the time. (As if you don't have enough variables to eliminate already! ) Just sitting still for hours can be bad too - best to find an excuse to get up and move every 10-15mins, like getting a drink, or fetching a dropped part back from the jaws of the Carpet Monster. We just aren't built for sedentary living!
GetSchrekt
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One other issue you might think about is the amount of liquids you drink-- if you spend hours at the work bench, without taking a drink, you can become dehydrated which will also cause headaches-- so you see, as others have mentioned, there are any number of reasons you could be having headaches besides glue. I know other modelers will likely suggest generators libations of alcoholic beverages here-- but those only make it worse. I've used Tamiya extra thin for years without any problems-- but I also use Walthers Pro-weld and Testors liquid cement. The aerosolization of these glues is rapid, but unless you have your nose right in them, or you have an extreme sensitivity to them, it's doubtful they are the sole cause of your problem. Are you sensitive to any other solvents-- like lacquer thinner for example?
VR, Russ

Yep, I guess I do tend to go building for hours without drinking water. I will try and increase my fluid intake and see how that goes. But I have noticed I am sensitive to lacquer/ enamel thinner. I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you
GetSchrekt
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

With liquid solvents, keeping the lid on until you absolutely need access is one way to reduce the fume effect, along with good ventilation as others have said. It's tempting to leave the bottle open between glue applications for convenience, but that nasty stuff is constantly evaporating into the air you breathe...

And when looking at your work environment, don't forget the furniture! If you are hunched over the bench in an uncomfortable chair, your spine is being stressed and that can lead to headaches. So can tipping your head down all the time. (As if you don't have enough variables to eliminate already! ) Just sitting still for hours can be bad too - best to find an excuse to get up and move every 10-15mins, like getting a drink, or fetching a dropped part back from the jaws of the Carpet Monster. We just aren't built for sedentary living!

The tipping of the head seems like a problem I have. I guess I have to keep my nose up . The 10-15 min breaks make a lot of sense aswell. Thank you very much for your input.I think it will help.
GetSchrekt
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 08:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also check your lighting, too much, too little, incandescent vs florescent. I can't stand florescent, when working with small parts it gives me headaches. Found that out after buying a nice magnifying/florescent lamp.

I guess I could try which one works best. I never thought lighting could be an issue. will give it a try. Thank you for the advice
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I guess I could try which one works best. I never thought lighting could be an issue. will give it a try. Thank you for the advice

A few years ago I "cured" a colleagues back ache. I was sort of involved in the responsibility for a healthy work environment so he asked me if the back ache could be caused by a bad chair or desk or wrong heights or whatever. Next time I passed his room I checked how he was sitting without him being aware that I watched him. Then I asked him if he had gotten a new display/screen for his computer. The answer was yes. The I changed the resolution of his screen to give a little better contras and slightly larger letters so that he could sit up properly and still read the screen properly. Then his backache went away ...
/ Robin
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 04:19 AM UTC
If all else fails:
GetSchrekt
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If all else fails:

Finally figured it put. It is a mix of lack of fluids,hunger,posture and eye strain. But the fumes dont help either lol.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:57 PM UTC
Well, nobody ever said sniffing lacquer fumes was a good thing...
 _GOTOTOP