_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Blue Stuff & casting medium?
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 156 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hi all,

Anyone used this Blue Stuff-stuff yet? I got in a pack (from Spain) and haven't used it yet.

I've never cast anything before, and wanted to do some stowage pieces. I have some 2 part epoxy putty I use for tarps and straps and such, but I'm wondering what some of you have used as a casting medium for such molds? Is there something I should pour into it using gates, or should I just stuff a wad of putty in there and squeeze it together?

Thanks!
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 03:50 PM UTC
Since this is a thermoplastic medium I don't think that typical pour casting would work. I did find this tho: http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/reusable-blue-stuff/8-blue-stuff-mold-8-bars.html
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 08:45 PM UTC
Miliput! Awesome! Thanks so much. I'll give it a shot tonight and post my results.
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 02:01 AM UTC
Alright. So I dropped my Blue Stuff into a cup of hot water (from the water cooler--hot enough to brew a cuppa tea). I let it sit for 5 minutes and the pulled it out and rolled it into a ball. From there, it became a sausage-shape and I pressed in 3 pieces of resin stowage. One simple, one with some void detail, and one rolled camo net. From there I squeezed it in my fist and let it cool. After about 10 minutes I pulled the resin pieces out and rolled up a couple of grams of Green Stuff. I then stuffed a wad of this into each casting, and then squuuueeeeezed it in my fist for a minute or two to set the medium into the detail. Now, it's sitting here on my desk curing. We'll have to see how it comes out!
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 04:37 AM UTC
SO, first run was a learning experience. I didn't allow the Blue Stuff to set up completely before I loaded in the putty. Therefore some of the detail got pushed out and the pieces came out sloppy--might be usable, but certainly not the original Verlinden quality. I'm running another set now after letting the Blue Stuff set up and cool for a full hour. Also instead of applying Mongo-Smash force to it after filling the mold, I applied firm, consistent pressure and left it. I'll leave these on my desk overnight and see how they do in the morning.
This is what I got from the 1st run:
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 05:29 AM UTC
you could always stick it in the fridge to cool it. Check the detail in the mold when fully cooled to make sure it looks like the master.
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 05:45 AM UTC
I dropped it in a cup of ice water
Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 10:10 PM UTC
OK, well I'm sold. This stuff is pretty awesome. I came in to work and dropped my blue wads into a cup of hot water and peeled out the dried putty pieces. My 1st attempt is on the left. The 2nd on the right. It captured every bit of the original detail. Stowage for days!
wroosels
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 02:24 AM UTC
Well, that looks fine to me. I think I will be ordering one too and try to cast some old Belgo figures i bought a decade ago.
I'll keep you posted.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 05:38 AM UTC
I have used it back when my kids were heavy into Warhammer 40K. Not casting full figures but all the bits. Here is a current ebay link on what I was using. Have not tried it with Milliput tho.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMBO-Blue-Stuff-Intant-Plastic-Clay-and-Green-Stuff-for-instant-mold-uses-/271861719662?hash=item3f4c38a26e:g:WtIAAOSwPhdVTyGg

On the other hand it might of been this stuff
http://chestofcolors.com/instant-mold-review-tutorial/

Cheers

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 09:45 AM UTC
It's Green Stuff.
 _GOTOTOP