Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Resin copy of Vacuum canopy
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,909 Posts
KitMaker Network: 162 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 01:58 AM UTC
I thought that some of you might like to see my adventures in making a resin copy of a vacuum formed canopy. It all started quite well I picked up an Xtraparts P-38M conversion set but the canopy was yellowed and fragile as well as broken in parts. I glued it back together and was just going to make a mold of it, but I thought I would need to make it thicker and in order to do that I needed to trim the edges that broke it some more I glued it together again and that is where I'm at now.

Cheers Rob.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 02:28 AM UTC
You might give Richard Tool's (rdt1953) canopy casting technique using Vac-forms and Durham's water putty to make new molds-- check it out.
VR, Russ
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 03:23 AM UTC
Thanks Russ! but that wouldn't help as as soon as you cut it it fractures it's that brittle.

Cheers Rob.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Russ! but that wouldn't help as as soon as you cut it it fractures it's that brittle.

Cheers Rob.

Rob,
Don't cut it, use it to make a cast out of Durham's Water Putty, then vac-form the cast. I've used Durhams for years now to make a master from vac-formed or kit canopies, with the intent that if I ever needed a new canopy I could just vac it. Richard has a new method where he makes a male and female mold so he can cast more canopies and cut and trim the canopies.
VR, Russ
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:06 AM UTC
Russ,
That is what I am doing I was trimming the excess from around the base so as to not use too much silicone when making the mold. I also plan on making it a little thicker.

Cheers Rob.
 _GOTOTOP