_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade
This forum is for all selling and buying related topics.
"Money Owed" Paypal option?
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 343 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 07:23 AM UTC
Has anyone ever used this before? Someone has contacted me and wants to use this option to pay. What's in it for both parties? Google brings up scam potential and I'm really uncertain; Paypal doesn't have much about this option on their site. Is this even a "thing"?
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 07:38 AM UTC
Think it was a misunderstanding; wants to send payment as to family, not for goods and services. Whats my downside as the seller, none, right? And I don't get hit with fees then. But he loosen some protection?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 07:45 AM UTC
I've bought and sold using the Send to Friends and Family option without issue many times. The only difference is that as the seller, F&F does not send an address to you. You have to have the buyer to send it to separately.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 02:19 PM UTC
As I Understand it an F&F transaction cannot be claimed back by the person making a payment.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 04:38 PM UTC
Granted, I've only ever sold one thing on E-bay, but I can't figure out why anyone would go this route. The regular transaction method makes everything so simple and convenient and doesn't involve me having to 'friend' someone I may never hear from again once the transaction is complete. If there are advantages, I'd love to hear them--always willing to learn something new.

woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Granted, I've only ever sold one thing on E-bay, but I can't figure out why anyone would go this route. The regular transaction method makes everything so simple and convenient and doesn't involve me having to 'friend' someone I may never hear from again once the transaction is complete. If there are advantages, I'd love to hear them--always willing to learn something new.

Not sure I follow 100%. So with eBay, in theory you tap into their greater reach given they are "THE" place to sell things on the Net. But I must admit my interest in that is waning given sellers fees and the general nickel and diming down the chain. Selling via FaceBook is becoming the thing, in my opinion, as it eliminates the sellers fees entirely. Maybe it takes longer to sell things? Maybe? I haven't really seen that as the case though. So as long as you're a member of active Seller group, and there are quite a few dedicated to modellers, AND you can crosslink what you're selling across those groups, you can have a reasonable sell rate.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not sure I follow 100%. So with eBay, in theory you tap into their greater reach given they are "THE" place to sell things on the Net. But I must admit my interest in that is waning given sellers fees and the general nickel and diming down the chain. Selling via FaceBook is becoming the thing, in my opinion, as it eliminates the sellers fees entirely. Maybe it takes longer to sell things? Maybe? I haven't really seen that as the case though. So as long as you're a member of active Seller group, and there are quite a few dedicated to modellers, AND you can crosslink what you're selling across those groups, you can have a reasonable sell rate.

Okay. I must have misread your post. I thought you were talking about selling on e-bay, but going back and re-reading your post I see that I must have come up with that on my own.

As far as seller's fee, there was no fee for me to list or sell anything--I think those are only for people setting up shop on e-bay. As a matter of fact, e-bay calculated the shipping cost for me and then gave me a discount for buying the postage directly from them so I ended up making a tiny profit on that (felt a little bad about that, but not much to be done about it).

_GOTOTOP