_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
securing pigments
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 03:24 AM UTC
is it possible to seal mig pigments to a model, so they wont rub off with handling, dusting etc?

i was thinking of spraying matt varnish over the finished model, does anyone know if this works?

cheers

joe
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 03:43 AM UTC
Joe,
It will work well with the dark colors, however the effect from the lighter colored pigments will pretty much disappear after the coat of flat. You can build the lighter colors up by layering them on, ie. pigments, flat coat, pigments, flat coat etc. Of course you don't want to do to many layers as it will obscure some of the surface detail. I have found the best way to get the light colors to "stay" is to mix them with water or Tamiya thinner and brush them on, then spray with the flat coat. Experiment on an old kit first. If you haven't seen it already check out Mig's article in the "Rarities World" section of Missing-Lynx on his use of the pigments.

HTH,
Mike
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:52 AM UTC
I sent a question about aplying varnish over MIG pigments to Miguel Jimenez (the man behind MIG) and below is his answer. I mentioned that Dull Cote I tried to use over his pigments causes either disappearing of pigments or make them look much darker.

Quoted Text

NOOO, No Pawel, nooooooo no varnish, no varnish!!!!!!!!

Listen me.....I am a poor modeller also. I haven't too special display for my models, and I live near the street, near a garden, where in summer there are dust and sun!. But my models still in perfect conditions. I never has used varnish, because as you say it change the look.

Well, Marcus and my self we have adventage over others, because we can take pictures of our models, to publish it in magazines and after that, we can abandonated the model, because is not useful. But ...I use my models for entry in contest or exhibitions around the world, and I need to protect very well my models after publish it.

You can use another tips for work with pigments, for example.

If your model is a modern tank, in satin color.....if you apply the pigment directly on the satin surface, it will be removed easily. But is you apply before pigments, a soft coat of tamiya buff or earth with Airbrush, and after that you apply the pigment, it will be fixed easily on a MATT surface.

My models...you can touch with fingers after to eat a hamburger and the pigment still on the surface...and is the same pigments as yours!!!! ;-)

use the matt-satin surfaces as combination, even in IIWW vehicles.

Apply big quantity....exageratin the effects, not soft or light effects.

And of course...in the first stage of pigment coats...apply thinner. Second coats without thinner. only pigments. Try it please.

Best Regards,
Pawel
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 07:54 PM UTC
thanks for finding that out vodnik,

cheers

joe
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
entire network: 211 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 01:51 AM UTC
How do you guys find the pigments as opposed to pastel chalk etc? I might try them for my tank soon, it's just that the shade names are a bit weird or at least very specific. What do you reckon would work well for tanks? Europe dust, some of the rust shades?
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 02:01 AM UTC
id say get some for sure,

i reckon they are one of the best modelling products out there,

get

european dust
standard rust
light rust
russian earth
black
vietnam earth(if you build vietnam)
beach sand

they are pretty expensive, but a pot will last you a while.

i reckon european earth(my most used colour) will probably last for around a dozen 1/35 scale tanks at least!

cheers

joe
druid
Visit this Community
Finland
entire network: 211 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

they are pretty expensive, but a pot will last you a while.

i reckon european earth(my most used colour) will probably last for around a dozen 1/35 scale tanks at least!

That sounds like pretty good value. My local shop stores all colors but Russian Earth for €3.2 each. Kinda affordable I think. I think I'll try European Dust and some of the rusts, maybe Black Smoke too.

Cheers mate!
 _GOTOTOP