_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Tetra Models HEMTT M983 Tractor Detail Set
SoftskinFan
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 12:54 AM UTC
Hi, Guys!

Has anyone gotten this photo etch set? Does it add much to the model (subjective, I know)? I was all set to get it, then it became unavailable, and I talked myself out of it. I started the HEMTT kit since then, and now the photo etch is available again. I haven't gotten too far on my build, so it's probably not too late. (I should note that I am not overly experienced with entire photo etch kits. I have only used the PE that comes with a kit.) Is the Tetra stuff any good, or am I only looking to cause myself heartache?

I did see the set reviewed on a German site, and from what I can gather, the quality seems good, but if I'm reading it right, it seems like the reviewer felt the upgrades were not really all that necessary. I do like the rubber mudguards, though.

Thanks for your opinion.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 02:50 AM UTC
I haven't used the Tetra Models PE, but have built the Trumpeter M983 kit. The PE in it is pretty nice and quite a bit. I don't think it needs any more PE. I am usually not a big AM PE buyer. I usually find most modern kits that come with PE are adequate.
SoftskinFan
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 05:09 PM UTC
Thanks, Gino. That's pretty much the answer I was looking for.

Can you tell me what gauge wire you used for the red and blue air lines, and how did you make the gladhands? Those were items I was happy to see in the PE set that are not in the Trumpeter kit.
Thanks!
Gary
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 05:26 PM UTC
For the wires, I used the inner wires from a phone line; no idea on the gauge. The gladhands I replicated with pieces of stryrene rod and tubing.

Here are some pics. I used the Trumpeter M983 pieces on the Italeri M1120 LHS cab/chassis. I used the Trumpeter cab/chassis and LHS parts to build an M1074 PLS still in progress.

You can follow the build progress here.

Good luck.
SoftskinFan
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 05:48 PM UTC
Looks really sweet, Gino! Thanks for the pics and the link. I will be sure to check it out. Phone wire, huh? Hmmm. Wonder if I have any lying around.

Thanks!
Gary
 _GOTOTOP