_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Airbrush & Thin Nozzle Cleaning
ebergerud
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 297 Posts
KitMaker Network: 32 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 12:22 PM UTC
Small Nozzle & Brush Cleaning Tools

Watching a long Ytube video the other night and always interesting Will Patterson started giving tips on cleaning airbrushes – in between steps, an accident. As luck would have it that day Badger had sent me a newsletter in which they said never to use “airbrush cleaning brushes” (pictured on top) because they were too abrasive. The modeler used water and lacquer thinner for solvents – that's fine. He used an inter dental brush (the orange plastic thing at the bottom) to clean the inside of the nozzle. So do I. These things are very inexpensive, available in any drugstore – look at the size of the brush but an extra buck buys better brushes - and work great. He also cut the plastic away from some of his dental brushes leaving the brush attached to about a half inch of thin wire. He used superglue to attach the tips to thin brass rod. (Very easy) You can use that to clean the area well behind the whole where the color cup intersects with the body of the brush – a prime spot for gunkies. (It won't go all the way through the airbrush, but I rarely disassemble everything.) Without removing the tip, the body of the brush will not allow a penetration only to about the bottom of the color cup. The brush on the inter dental is much less abrasive than the dedicated airbrush cleaner and frankly, I'd listen to Badger.

But here's the treat. If you've got a thin nozzle – saw a .15 or .20 mm Harder Steenbeck, Will cleans the nozzle tip with “Absorbent Paper Points.” They're designed for dentists to clean as they do root canal so they're not rigid, but they do hold together. They're about an inch long and very thin with a slight taper. Sizes are 15-80: any would work, but 40 is perfect for HS .20. They cost about $5 for 200 on Ebay. You can see on size 40 Point with a black end below the brush. You can see another Paper Point sticking easily through the nozzle of the .20 HS Evolution. HS sells a nice $20 metal tool that does about the same thing, but the paper point won't scratch anything. (Nor would it break through a solidly blocked nozzle: hopefully that's rare in your world.)

Eric
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 05:03 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip Eric, very interesting!
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 - 08:03 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip, it does sound interesting. Found the 40 bits on eBay, will try them with my AB.

Mario
ebergerud
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 03:45 AM UTC
I was a little surprised about the Badger warning: I've got several of those brushes and formerly used them. It came in an online newsletter called OverSpray, so I can't give an address. I copied this (caps in original) and edited a short list of their recommended tools - all different from their "How To" PDF file on their site. But they're not kidding I think.

DO NOT USE SO CALLED AIRBRUSH CLEANING BRUSHES ON YOUR AIRBRUSH EVER! THEY CAUSE DAMAGE TO SEALS AND SCRATCH SURFACES THAT IF MARRED OR SCRATCHED PREVENT THE AIRBRUSH FROM WORKING PROPERLY!

Recommend Soft Tools:
1. Make up lip balm applicators for hard to reach crevices
2. Make up removal pads for inside color cup
3. Fiber brushes or “just a dab” applicators for nozzle
4. Airbrush cleaning brushes can and will do irreparable damage to your airbrush when used on sealing surfaces.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 06:37 AM UTC
i was just having my root canal treatment last month .4 episodes of RCT and was noticing this product and other tools used by the dentist... Unfortunatelt i never had the chance to ask my dentist....
i had weird thought while having my teeth drilled, beaten etc, i was imagining cleaning my airbrush would be great if i had most of the tools the dentist had

Thanks for sharing the tip Mr. Eric... the paper absorbent thingy is on its way now (courtesy of my wallet and eBay)

Zaidi
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 06:11 PM UTC
I, too placed an order. It sounds like these will cut at least two steps out of my normal cleaning method.
ebergerud
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 - 02:05 AM UTC
At least one for a Harder Steenbeck. It does go through the nozzle tip of any HS nozzle and will poke out anything not dried hard and it won't hurt anything. It won't clean the inside of the nozzle - but that's easily done with a inter dental brush or maybe a medical/Tamiya/Gunze Q-tip. Actually I was impressed with the strong tone of Badger's verboten stand on cleaning brushes. Now that I look at mine, they might not be good things to stick into a place where there are O rings etc and they could be tough on a smooth finish. Who knew?

BTW: this idea originally came from uber-guru Paul Budzik - if you don't know him check his YT channel or web site "Modeling Outside the Box." A genius.
Eric
 _GOTOTOP