_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Car Modelling Questions
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 08:47 AM UTC
I have a 99' Silverado that I want to build. I want it to look identical to my dad's 99' Chevy Silverado.

Questions:

Turn Signal Amber- Can I use Future with a little amber colored acrylic paint, instead of buying a bottle of turn signal amber.

Gloss coat- Could I use future to seal everything in after I get some painting and decalling. Or would gloss black be glossy enough.

Thanks!
~Chip :-)
bep
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 566 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 11:06 AM UTC
Chip,
Don't know if the picture is clear enough, but I painted this one with tamiya's Gloss black acrylic paint.

So I'd say it's glossy enough.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 12:01 PM UTC
Why don't you try what I did, when I wanted a greenish tint over the gray primer on my Marder 3 interior, but I used Testors enamel, now I done a little sample to see if it would work, I poured a little future in a small container, then dipped my flat brush in the flat green, then dipped it into the future, and stirred it up, using the brush at first to get most of the enamel off into the future, then finished stirring with a piece of sprue, and when it looked like it was good and mixed, I painted it on a piece of sprue that I had over spray of gray on to, to see if it would work, and it did make it transparent, it looked like gray with a greenish tint. What the heck, the most you will be out is a brush full of paint, and a little bit of future, if it works then you have saved, if not then you got to spend some more, but it is worth a try. Good luck.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 03:04 PM UTC
Straight Edge, good idea!

Bep, I love the Nissan. Beautiful car!

~Chip :-)
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 06:21 AM UTC
Chip I never thought about it before, but does it have clear lenses, cause if it does just paint the inside of the lense, and when I done cars in 1/24, 1/25 I just done them in amber, cause when you look at the lense on a real car, you can't see through it anyway, or at least that was the way of the older cars, and if that is the same as what I done, then I'd paint the amber, then put a half drop of future over it, or unless you are a total detailer and putting a real light behind there, then you got to stick with the tint.Oh Paul just told me to try food coloring, that it works real good with future, this morning my brain couldn't get moving. I hope this helps. Kerry
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 06:33 AM UTC
Clear amber is your best bet.
For the finish, I'd do what the car guys do. Several light thin coats of gloss, buff lightly between each then use buffing pads to get it really shiny and seal it with carnuba wax. The guy at your LHS will know what these things are. The buffing pads go up to something like 12000 grit. You'll get it so glossy and shiny, you'll need .
gkicsak
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 50 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:24 PM UTC
Bep,

A great job on your paintwork on the Nissan.

Cheers,
Gabe
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 02:18 AM UTC
HEHE....suppose we can convince Jim to add a Car modelers forum?????

As we all know how much he hates car modeling......HAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:55 PM UTC
A car builders forum .. i think that this one has been discussed previously but was stopped on the item that Armorama has to do mainly with Army subjects . But i d really like to see this and participate (i have 10 1/24 car kits waiting ...all American beauties from the 70;s) so come on talk to Jim !!!!!!!
bep
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 566 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A car builders forum .. i think that this one has been discussed previously but was stopped on the item that Armorama has to do mainly with Army subjects . But i d really like to see this and participate (i have 10 1/24 car kits waiting ...all American beauties from the 70;s) so come on talk to Jim !!!!!!!

Maybe we can post a pic of a car every week like 'car of the week'. I have built about 20 cars and trucks so I'm good for half a year
If we keep this up, Jim will give in. maybe. #:-)
Here's the first one :

See you all next week
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:45 PM UTC
Chip,

Tamiya 'Turn Signal Amber" on the backside of the lens is the what most car modelers use for turn signals. Glossy black paint can be made plenty glossy. This 1/24 'Alpina' RX-7 was shot with Krylon Indoor/Outdoor lawn furniture paint from the spray can, wet-sanded and polished.

Cody
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 02:15 PM UTC
use an orange magic marker. Staedtler permanent work best.
 _GOTOTOP