_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Payload for Chinese 50 Ton Tank Transporter?
SoftskinFan
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 - 08:36 PM UTC
Hi, Guys.

I just picked up the Trumpeter Chinese 50 Ton Tank Transporter at a show, and I was wondering what would be an appropriate, available, and inexpensive payload for it. I am not a tank builder (though I now have 3 transports -- perhaps I will be), and I am thinking of the tank more as cargo than as a perfectly accurate separate model. I know the transporter started seeing use in the early 80's. Any suggestions for something that would look good on the back but not be a major expense/major pain to build?

Thanks for any help!

Gary
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 - 08:52 PM UTC
Trumpeter has a whole line of modern Chinese tanks, APCs, and SP Artillery pieces that could go on the trailer. They are all pretty inexpensive and not too difficult to build.

Check here for some ideas.
SoftskinFan
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 07:26 PM UTC
Thanks, HeavyArty! I Googled a bunch of those vehicles, and it looks like a good number of them could have been used with that transporter, at least according to the years of service. I have another show coming up early next month. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone with some Chinese armor they want to unload cheap.

Thanks again!
Gary
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 - 08:33 PM UTC
Another option is to paint the transporter sand and mark it as a Saddam-era (or more modern) Iraqi vehicle and put a T-72, T55 Enigma, or other Iraqi (Soviet-era) vehicle on it. When I was there during the invasion in '03 (and later in '08-'09) they used all sorts of civilian tank transporters. I am sure that the Chinese one would fit right in. I had actually thought about doing the same at one point. I may still...eventually.
 _GOTOTOP