_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
DDR T-55's questions
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2017 - 07:36 AM UTC
I just ordered Takom's new East German T-55 kit. When East & West Germany re-unified what did the BW do with all of these tanks? Scrapped them ? Moved them to reserve units? If so, how long were these in service with them? Or, sold them to other countries? Just curious as to what options I have with this kit.
Also, has anybody built any of the Takom T-55's? If so, can a good rendition be made out of the box ? Or, do I need some AM stuff to get it where it should be?
One last question. What green would be a good match for NVA green?
Thanks for your tips and information !

Tom
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 - 11:27 AM UTC
Some were sold to other countries, a few could have gone to museums and the rest were scrapped.
They were not used as tanks by the Bundeswehr.

This place has at least one T-55 and use it to sell driving lessons to civilians:
http://www.panzerfahren-harz.de/fahrzeuge---info-s.html
299 Euros (somewhere around US $ 315, depending on currency rates) you get a one hour driving lesson)

Maybe that could be a different type of diorama ?
/ Robin
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 04:03 AM UTC
Thanks Robin ! Now that the kit has finally arrived. Instructions say that there are 2 Czech versions. a Polish tank and an East German one.
This is a first for me. The original decal sheet the Polish 781 number and the Czech 369 turret numbers were printed in black. Takom included a decal sheet marked "correction" with the right white numbers. Way to go Takom !!! Would other manufacturers have done this? Maybe yes but probably NO !
Thanks again !

Tom
 _GOTOTOP