_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Best Super Glue for PE Parts
scubatwo
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 83 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:35 AM UTC
Hello,

What is the best/preferred super glue for attaching photo etched parts? I'm using a medium CA and it seems to be very slow to attach the part to the plastic.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

What is the best/preferred super glue for attaching photo etched parts? I'm using a medium CA and it seems to be very slow to attach the part to the plastic.

I like Bob Smith Industries (BSI) super thin for small parts, extra thick for larger parts, applied with a needle point applicator I make myself (turned on a dremel sading disc). I then hit it with a cyanoacrylate accelerator using a micro brush- you'll get instant adhesion.
VR, Russ
scubatwo
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 02:20 PM UTC
Russ,

Thanks! I will have to check and see if I have any thin CA. I had not thought of using the accelerator applied the way you suggest - makes total sense.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:40 PM UTC
I saw a post the other day suggesting loctite professional superglue in the blue bottle... trying it out today and I will let you know... if you need to move the part around, gator glue is a stronger version of regular white glue... I have also used 5 minute epoxy when strength is needed and dry time isnt critical... HTH
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:44 PM UTC
I find the best superglue to be the cheapest I can find. I usually find the generic black/yellow tube one that comes in a 4 pack for about $2 at Wal-Mart or the likes works great for me. I think the keys are using only a small amount of glue and holding it in place long enough for it to adhere. I have no issues with attaching PE.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:46 PM UTC
I like Gator's Grip Glue for PE
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hi Scott,

I, too, use Bob Smith CA and am entirely satisfied. Here's a review I made of them: https://archive.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showmaker&makerid=1644

The BSI owner is an accomplished RC modeler. I figure they decided to make the glue that they always wanted. An R/C B-25G he made is posted somewhere around this site.
scubatwo
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 - 04:52 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions. Haven't been an active model builder for about 10 years. Never used much photo etch before so it is relearning a very limited skill
 _GOTOTOP