_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Humbrol Enamel paint colours old/new numberi?
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 900 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 01:36 PM UTC
I have a bunch of humbrol tins that I have had for a few years now, and most still seem quite viable, however I have discoverd while going through them, that for at least one of them I can't find the shade name.

I have a tin labeled Matt 154 which a google search tells me is insignia yellow. However the tin I have is clearly a red-brown colour.

Did Humbrol change their numbering at some point, and if so, is there an old colour reference chart that anyone might have or can point me too?

Thanks

iain
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 03:01 PM UTC
Going through the Humbrol colour chart, I suspect what I have is a tin of 160 German red brown. The next closest colour looks like 70 brick red however that seems too light.

I can't find anything about a numbering change, so I can only assume I have a mislabeled tin.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 03:30 PM UTC
Humbrol for some unknown reason to mankind like to do a bit' of confusion occasionally, both in names and numbers,there are 2 Olive Drab Matt,155 and 66 and 2 light gray Matt 147 and 64 and in the last years they added or exhumed some colors and had the brilliant idea to use old numbers of colors out of production, so 'we can' find two jars with the same number but different colors and simply move others!...
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 04:13 PM UTC
Well that's kind of what I was expecting but couldn't find any info on changes to their colour lineup.

I have no idea how old the tin I have is, and it's been used at least once, and it's definitely not Insignia Yellow as the number and Humbrol site suggest.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 04:59 PM UTC
The last change was in 2012 when they moved back the production in UK and add also the Union Jack on the label,in the last 30 year they change at least 5-6 different label

here you can find some old charts

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=humbrol+old+tin&client=firefox-b&biw=1536&bih=725&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiom9zuuIXSAhVGnpQKHcDlA20QsAQIGA#tbm=isch&q=humbrol+old+paint+color+chart+tin

Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 05:24 PM UTC
Pretty sure it's a pre-2012 tin but can only find a really old chart where red-brown is 150 and German rotbraun is three hundred something, but it's hard to read the low res image.

So I am declaring it equivalent to the current 160, and it's going on my Bishop.

Hopefully the rest of my tins still line up with the current chart.
Cheers
 _GOTOTOP