_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
Riveting techniques advice?
tommorfy
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 10:56 PM UTC
Can anyone provide any helpful information regarding riveting of a 1/48 p47d? I want to attempt the process but could use some friendly advice before I embark on it.

Thanks

Tom
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 418 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:14 PM UTC
there's a rivet making tool made by Trumpeter. just search "trumpeter rivet maker". it uses a saw like wheel to make dents into the plastic, and thus making the riveting effect.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:31 PM UTC
You can use a pounce wheel, used by seamstress to transfer patterns to material.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 07:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You can use a pounce wheel, used by seamstress to transfer patterns to material.

A Pounce Wheel!! That's the term I was trying to remember! Thanks Matt! Tom, get yourself a pounce wheel. It's the cats meow for rivet making.

Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 08:54 PM UTC
My question is, does one really need to add rivets to most aircraft?

If you were to stand at a distance from a 1:1 aircraft equivalent to the viewing distance of a 1:48 model I don't think you could see many rivets. Or am I wrong about that?

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My question is, does one really need to add rivets to most aircraft?

If you were to stand at a distance from a 1:1 aircraft equivalent to the viewing distance of a 1:48 model I don't think you could see many rivets. Or am I wrong about that?

Didn't expect you'd be a "rivet counter", or rather non counter, when it came to rivet counting Mark!!!
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 10:13 PM UTC
Hey, I'm not saying riveters lives don't matter!

Actually, if there is such a thing as an anti-rivet-counter, then it might just be me! I am not one to discourage someone from building a model they way they want to; just asking the question since I think maybe we get so accustomed to kits being produced with rivets all over them that we feel like they need to be there, when in reality they don't. They do add visual interest, though, so if you like it , go for it!

ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually, if there is such a thing as an anti-rivet-counter, then it might just be me! I am not one to discourage someone from building a model they way they want to; just asking the question since I think maybe we get so accustomed to kits being produced with rivets all over them that we feel like they need to be there, when in reality they don't. They do add visual interest, though, so if you like it , go for it!

Just chiefing you a bit Mark. I think we all sometimes forget the whole scale distance aspect of our hobby. I'm neither a counter of rivets, nor am I against those that do... I love a good looking model, diorama or vignette. What ifs, fantasy, sci-if, I appreciate them all. But your original point is quite valid, if I couldn't see it from the scale distance, why do I need to put it in? At the end of the day, I think it comes down to the fact that we are looking at the model from a 1:1 distance from our own eyes, and not thinking what it would look like from a 35th or 48th scale distance. Because we can, or cannot focus on the model as the case may be, we tend to want more and more detail...

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 11:19 PM UTC
Another way to make flush rivets is to use a small diameter pipe (sharpened sides) to scribe circular marks to resemble the edge of flush rivets.
/ Robin
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2017 - 12:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just chiefing you a bit Mark. I think we all sometimes forget the whole scale distance aspect of our hobby. I'm neither a counter of rivets, nor am I against those that do... I love a good looking model, diorama or vignette. What ifs, fantasy, sci-if, I appreciate them all. But your original point is quite valid, if I couldn't see it from the scale distance, why do I need to put it in? At the end of the day, I think it comes down to the fact that we are looking at the model from a 1:1 distance from our own eyes, and not thinking what it would look like from a 35th or 48th scale distance. Because we can, or cannot focus on the model as the case may be, we tend to want more and more detail...

Oh, I knew you were teasing, and I was teasing right back. It's all good to me!

_GOTOTOP