TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Old TV Series
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 09:09 AM UTC
Does anybody remember the old TV series of The Rat Patrol, or Combat, I used to love watching these shows, I sure wish they would bring them back, every once in a while they do show Combat, but on the Rat Patrol they made it look as though only the Americans were fighting the Germans in the desert, but the only models you can buy on the Africa campaign, is the British Land Rover stating Rat Patrol. Did anybody else ever watch these, of course you got to go back a good thirty to forty years to all black and white.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 11:54 AM UTC
When I was younger and cable TV wasn't as widespread as it is now (dang, I sound old for someone just shy of 32), one of the local stations would show both of those programs. I never missed them if I could avoid it. Those shows were to original must see TV for me.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 04:39 AM UTC
Action TV, in some cable of satellite companies, shows Combat weekdays about 10:00 mountain time. Two episodes back to back. As for Rat Patrol I don't remember seeing it aired anywhere lately. Besides the Tamiya land rover, which is post WWII I believe, there is the LRDG Chevy truck, a pretty good kit, and the SAS jeep. The SAS jeep isn't too hot but you can also convert the regular jeep into an SAS or Rat Patrol. As I remember the old Rat Patrol series at least one of the men were supposed to be a British soldier, the guy wearing the black beret. Typical Hollywood though, made it look like the Americans single handedly won the war.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:54 AM UTC
They used to have a Willys jeep with a fifty mounted on the back, and I think every episode they always found a German convoy to destroy, they were always out numbered and way outgunned, but always came out ahead with the fast jeeps running rings around the German armor, then disappearing over the sand dunes before the Germans could lock on, and I only remember one or two episodes where they were all at a camp working on their jeeps under sand colored tarps, to give them shade from the sun, plus hide them from the air.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 04:22 PM UTC
I remember the Rat Patrol. 2 Jeeps mounting 50 cals and destroying everything in sight, M-47 tanks and old M-3 Halftracks with crosses. There was a 87th scale kit put out then. Using the minitank pieces for the jeeps and a PZKW IV and some other vehicle. It also had little figures and some oasis parts with it
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 09:38 AM UTC
Let's see how many of Combat series reoccuring characters names we can remember.
Sgt. Saunders
Kirby
Little John
Lt.?
Doc?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 09:42 AM UTC
I've never seen Rat Patrol before - but sure would like to.

I often wake up early to catch Combat on the Action Channel. I really like Combat!

Gunnie
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 09:55 AM UTC
I've only seen bits and pieces of Rat Patrol but I used to watch Combat regularly. Just like Star Trek, it's always the unknown replacement that dies on every mission!!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 12:00 PM UTC
I watched Rat Patrol every week when I was a junior in high school. The other posters are right in that 3 yanks and a brit out-fought the Deutsch Afrika Korps. Week after week, inflicting untold casualties with maybe a scratch once or twice. The series turned me onto the bush jacket style which I still wear to this day. (Well, a newer and, ahem, larger one! :-) )
Seadragon021
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 16 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 12:56 PM UTC
Yeah, The Rat Patrol was great! I don't know how many of you know that Hans Gudegast, the actor that played Captain Dietrich, went on to become the most popular daytime television actor in the US today. His name is now Eric Braeden and he plays Victor on The Young and the Restless.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 01:11 PM UTC
I watched both & loved them. Although, the Rat Patrol was a little bit on the cheesy side compared to Combat.
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 04:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's see how many of Combat series reoccuring characters names we can remember.
Sgt. Saunders
Kirby
Little John
Lt.?
Doc?

Cage
Lt Hanley

Combat is on twice a day here on expanded cable. Haven't seen Rat Patrol in many a year.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC
The M16 halftrack they used in that show (quad .50) is on display (U.S.markings) in the Heartland Military Vehicle Museum in Lexington Nebraska The owner told me that Christopher George,the guy who played the leader,injured his back by standing up at the .50 cal. on the opening scene where the jeep jumps up in the air I loved that show
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 10:52 AM UTC
Yes~~~
Combat os on Starz network!
very worth the price!!
that was quite popular when I was young!
Ron