_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
When you NEED a hammer
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:00 AM UTC
So, I recently attempted Dragon's Panzer II C. I had finished the upper and lower hull, interior and exterior. The upper hull refused to mate to the later hull. Okay, this is modeling. Some trimming. Some sanding. Parts breaking loose, constantly. Finally, I carefully aligned the up and lower hull. Time for a short break and quick trip. I came back, with a hammer. Removed the upper hull and sat it squarely in the middle of my work bench. Raised the hammer. And, smashed it into tiny little pieces. That is the most satisfactory thing I have ever done, when it comes to the hobby.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So, I recently attempted Dragon's Panzer II C. I had finished the upper and lower hull, interior and exterior. The upper hull refused to mate to the later hull. Okay, this is modeling. Some trimming. Some sanding. Parts breaking loose, constantly. Finally, I carefully aligned the up and lower hull. Time for a short break and quick trip. I came back, with a hammer. Removed the upper hull and sat it squarely in the middle of my work bench. Raised the hammer. And, smashed it into tiny little pieces. That is the most satisfactory thing I have ever done, when it comes to the hobby.

Brilliant!
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:37 AM UTC
pictures?

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 08:50 AM UTC
I was too upset to think of taking pictures. However, I do have another of that kit, in my stash. Wait and see.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 02:58 PM UTC
I can relate to those feelings, done it once or twice myself but luckily it was cheap kits so no big loss ...

One tip though: Assemble the large parts first, like the major hull parts. Saving the small and fragile parts to the very end avoids having them crushed when coaxing the bigger parts to fit.

Getting the upper and lower parts of the hull together can sometimes need a little "persuasion" and not having to worry about the fragile bits makes it a lot easier.

I have never seen any kit instructions which saves the fragile parts to the last few steps ....

/ Robin
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 03:40 PM UTC
I know the culprit. There are two tabs, on the rear upper that should mount flush to the joined hulls. The instructions have you attach them to the upper hull, before joining the hulls. Unfortunately, I didn't take this into account, before losing my calm. Actually, I just realized this.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 05:48 PM UTC
Done it myself in the past,but not during a build it was during a painting session on a KT and messed it up so I threw it on the floor and stomped on it

But it plays on your mind for some time later thinking I have wasted time money and effort on that kit and now it's gone.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2017 - 05:52 PM UTC
PK: That is why I bought a second kit. I can't let a failed build get the better of me.
 _GOTOTOP