_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Converting tamiya sd.kfz 251/1
Americanzero
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 12:21 AM UTC
Is it possible to convert this into a sd.kfz 250? I am looking at some of the specs on wiki and it looks to be mostly the same vehicle. Main differences I see are:

251/1 has two more road wheels

250 has the diamond shaped upper armor, only one reads access door

I would like to make this into Rommels command truck "Greif". I'm not afraid of plasti-carding. I guess I'm asking if I missed a basic detail that makes this impossible, or examples of someone else doing it already. Thanks for the help everyone, back to research!
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 12:45 AM UTC
I think trying to convert a 251/1 into a 250/3 would prove to be an exceedingly complex undertaking. You'll note that on the 251 there is an angle where the 'hood' meets the fighting compartment so that the sides run parallel to the vehicle centerline. On the 250 the forward upper side armor continues straight until it meets the rear side armor so that it is on an oblique angle to the centerline.

Apart from having to totally re-build the body you would also have to re-do the interior of the open top fighting compartment, install a radio, etc. And there's also the challenge of the GREIF markings.

Seems to me you'd be better off just getting ahold of an existing GREIF kit. From what I have seen from photos the stowage accompanying Tamiya's version is pretty accurate. I built a Gunze-Sangyo GREIF kit awhile ago that needed all new stowage and the red centers removed from the markings on the right-hand side.

I love GREIF so I hope you'll do a build blog, whichever way you decide to go.

Americanzero
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:08 AM UTC
Ahhh now that I look again I see that. It looks like the 250 hood is almost flush with the fender, while the 251 has about 6 inches of space above the fender to the start of the hood line. Bummer! I'll have to figure out something else to do with the 251 kit I have. I'll look around and try and find a grief kit somewhere, heck I might be able to paint what I have to be a command support vehicle
 _GOTOTOP